Extra dimension TWO in rst file

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Zeng

Extra dimension TWO in rst file

#1 Unread post by Zeng »

Hello everyone,

Wish you all the best!

I want to simulate seasonal release of the dye, so I need to add a value of a certain grid cell in the 'dye' variable in the rst file, but I found that there is a extra dimension 'TWO' in the variable. What does this dimension represent? Thanks for your attention!

regards,
Enzo
Attachments
7e2779b2f279e27551b07263e8c0fb2.jpg
Last edited by Zeng on Thu May 23, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wilkin

Re: Extra dimension TWO in rst file

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Restart files include TWO time levels - the model output time step n and the proceeding time step n+1. This is necessary to exactly restart the time stepping algorithm as if the model had never stopped.

You can add the DYE variable to a history file and start from there, in which case ROMS takes an Euler forward (first order) time step at the start to get going.

Or, if it's really important to you to exactly resume the physics, you would add the DYE variable with duplicate values in the TWO dimension.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

Zeng

Re: Extra dimension TWO in rst file

#3 Unread post by Zeng »

Dear doctor wilkin, thanks for your prompt reply, I think it would be more convenient to add a value to both time steps in the dimension TWO. :mrgreen: