freshwater river inflow increased salinity of lake

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Fatima

freshwater river inflow increased salinity of lake

#1 Unread post by Fatima »

Dear all,
I am working with an axisymmetric idealized lake. I added two freshwater river inflows with a constant temperature of 4 degrees centigrade (I activated LUVSrc and temperature and salinity tracers). The lake surface temperature is set to freezing point temperature, and the lake's salinity is set homogeneously at 14 PSU.
My lake depth is 145 m, and the 45 km length scale and average inflow velocity is 2.1 m/s (dx=90m and dz=0.16 m and f=0.033, river_transport= 1m^3/s).
Despite adding freshwater inflow with a constant temperature of 4 degrees Celsius, the salinity of the lake near the river's mouth increased by approximately 0.5 PSU.
I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
salinity.jpg

jcwarner

Re: freshwater river inflow increased salinity of lake

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

so the river inflows have salt = 0, correct?
are there any undershoots of sal? is the sal < 14 anywhere?
depending on the advection scheme, you can get over and under shoots, but the total mass should be correct.

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

#3 Unread post by jivica »

what about temperature? Is it correct or do you have a strange result? Are you sure about the inflow direction you set (inflow not outflow from the domain)?

Fatima

#4 Unread post by Fatima »

Thank you for your reply.
There is no place with a salinity of less than 14 PSU. The river salinity is 0 PSU, and the river temperature is 4 degrees C.
Based on velocity fields, river directions are correct.
I changed my f=0, but still, i have the same problem with salinity. I attached velocity fields, temperature, and density vertical sections.
My current advection scheme is MPDATA.
Despite adding rivers with a flow rate of 1 m^3/s, there is no noticeable increase in the volume of water, there is a potential problem with water mass.
Should i change my advection scheme?
I would really appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
w.jpg
w.jpg (37.87 KiB) Viewed 841 times
u.jpg
u.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 841 times
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 841 times
rho.jpg

jcwarner

#5 Unread post by jcwarner »

where are you putting the rivers in at? are they from the lateral boundary or in the interior of the domain?
the LuvSrc need to come from masked areas, you cant just add them into an active grid cell.
If you want to add the source to an active grid cell, then try LwSrc.

Fatima

#6 Unread post by Fatima »

I defined rivers both in lateral boundary and mask areas (mask = 0), but I still have the same problem with LuvSrc.
I tried LwSrc (mask = 1), and the salinity increased (I attached a salinity vertical profile close to the river mouth).
I changed my settings and defined one inflow and one outflow. Salinity increased near the inflow, and salinity decreased near the outflow.
Do you have any suggestions?
Attachments
salinity1.jpg

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

#7 Unread post by jivica »

You are close, think your river_direction and/or transport is wrong. Read about the rivers, John wrote a nice tutorial.

wilkin

#8 Unread post by wilkin »

You say ...
defined rivers both in lateral boundary and mask areas (mask = 0), but I still have the same problem with LuvSrc.
I tried LwSrc (mask = 1),
... but do you mean u,v or rho masks?

LwSrc points can be anywhere in the water mask_rho=1 but with i,j set by river_Xposition,river_Eposition in FORTRAN indexing convention for rho points.

LuvSrc points must be placed at u,v cell faces with i,j set by river_Xposition,river_Eposition in FORTRAN indexing for u,v. The cell face must be a land/sea boundary (which will have mask_u or mask_v zero but be adjacent to a rho water point). Then you need to set the sign of the transport so it flows into not out of the adjacent rho cell.

Have you read https://www.myroms.org/wiki/River_Runoff
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

Fatima

#9 Unread post by Fatima »

Thank you for your reply.
I did same settings for river definition. Salinity increased again. Is there any solution for increasing salinity?

jcwarner

#10 Unread post by jcwarner »

ok. this looks like a simple test case.
can you tar up the ocean.in, *.h, and any files someplace that i can get?

Fatima

#11 Unread post by Fatima »

Thank you John,
I attached my roms files. It is a simple test case. When I defend outflow, Salinity decreases and vice versa.
Attachments
river.zip
(19.76 MiB) Downloaded 34 times

wilkin

#12 Unread post by wilkin »

In bowl_safe_new2_rivers_u.nc the first river_Xposition index (501) is invalid FORTRAN indexing of rho goes from 0 to L (green points in this figure: https://www.myroms.org/wiki/Numerical_S ... _Technique) which for you is 0 to 500. The indexing of u-points (in red) is therefore 1 to 500, so 501 is not allowed.

Your file bowl_safe_new2_rivers_w.nc seems OK with sources at river_Xposition = 499 and 3.

Your river_transport is very small at 0.5 m3/s. For a LuvSrc inflow at the coast (2 m depth) with a cell width of dy= 80 m, that is an inflow velocity Q/(h*dy) of 3 mm/s. It might not be surprising that you don't see a significant change in tracer values, especially since you are using MPDATA which is very diffusive.

Other things I notice ... you have explicit horizontal mixing on temperature but not salinity. Since you are using MPDATA, explicit mixing added to the implicit embodied in MPDATA makes it even more diffusive and will further obscure an obvious temperature change.

I suggest you try a larger river_transport to see if you get a more conspicuous response, and a less diffusive advection shceme.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

jcwarner

#13 Unread post by jcwarner »

So i wrote a long post here, but it somehow got deleted. I will try to recover what i essence of what i wrote.

In summary, i ran your case and i see the salt decrease for the LwSrc as it should, with the source of water coming in at salt=0.
I ran your case with LuvSrc and i see the salt increase. The reason is that both of your point sources take water out of the domain. If you take water out, and specify the salt out =0, then no salt will leave. Therefor the salinity (concentration of salt) will increase in the domain.
If you have a box of water with salinity = 20, then you evaporate half of the water, the salinity goes up to 40 because the amount of salt stayed the same but the volume decreased.
If you set
LtracerSrc == T F ! temperature, salinity, inert
then the LuvSrc will keep the salt at 14.
The specifies to remove salt at the tracer concentration of the source location.

arango
Site Admin

#14 Unread post by arango »

John, did your post get deleted? That's weird. Only a couple of us have the permission privileges to do so. We have been having power failures recently, and it is possible that your post was lost because of it. I always use Firefox with history control to recover lost messages and text. It happened to me when I posted long, detailed messages in this forum.

jcwarner

#15 Unread post by jcwarner »

I dont think it got 'deleted', but it never showed up. I wrote it, thought i hit the 'submit' button, and then it never showed up.
I am sure it was me, not pushing the correct post button and then closing the window.
Hopefully the main intent of my post is there.
-j