The "QUADRATIC" option in 3.0 lmd_skpp.F

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

hankseidel

The "QUADRATIC" option in 3.0 lmd_skpp.F

#1 Post by hankseidel »

We have installed and upgraded to ROMS 3.0. In the past we have had problems with the surface boundary layer (hsbl) computed in the KPP mixing routine. I see that a new option (which is undocumented) has been added to 3.0 which is set by the compiler control option "QUADRATIC" and is deactivated in the KPP code. I understand that this may be under development but I am curious if this is an attempt to correct the problems with the SBL dissappearing in certain regions/seasons. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hank

enrique

#2 Post by enrique »

This is an option designed to typically deepen the mixed layer obtained by KPP. It is now a standard feature of the ocean model in CCSM at NCAR and also makes some physical sense. Kate Hedstrom implemented it last summer, but we never finished debugging it. It is not clear how much of a difference it will make in typical ROMS applications (high-resolution) but it will not hurt. We would like to see it debugged...

hankseidel

#3 Post by hankseidel »

I'll give it a try and let you know what we find out. We are running a 1/4 degree model of the Atlantic basin.