Problem installing plotting package

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

rouf

Problem installing plotting package

#1 Unread post by rouf »

Hi, I tried to install plotting package for Cygwin. I have already installed NCAR graphics package. But while installing plotting package by running make file, I got lots of Undefined reference errors.
Here are some of the errors

Code: Select all

/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x1d): undefined referen
ce to `_s_wsfe'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x35): undefined referen
ce to `_do_fio'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x5c): undefined referen
ce to `_do_fio'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x61): undefined referen
ce to `_e_wsfe'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0xb2): undefined referen
ce to `_s_cmp'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0xeb): undefined referen
ce to `_s_wsfi'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x107): undefined refere
nce to `_do_fio'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x10c): undefined refere
nce to `_e_wsfi'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x129): undefined refere
nce to `_s_wsfe'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x146): undefined refere
nce to `_do_fio'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f:(.text+0x14b): undefined refere
nce to `_e_wsfe'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gzgte2.o):gzgte2.f:(.text+0x58): undefined referen
ce to `_s_copy'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gzputs.o):gzputs.f:(.text+0x62): undefined referen
ce to `_s_copy'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gzputs.o):gzputs.f:(.text+0xdd): undefined referen
ce to `_s_copy'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gzputs.o):gzputs.f:(.text+0x14f): undefined refere
nce to `_s_copy'
/usr/local/lib/libncarg_c.a(i1mach.o):i1mach.f:(.text+0x4b8): undefined referenc
e to `_s_stop'
make: *** [/roms/Projects/Upwelling/cntG] Error 1
Please advice.

Rouf

robertson
Site Admin

Re: Problem installing plotting package

#2 Unread post by robertson »

As stated in the tutorial, you need to make sure that the same compiler is used for both NCAR Graphics (or NCL) and the ROMS plotting package.

The following information was contained in the first google search result for '/usr/local/lib/libncarg_gks.a(gerlog.o):gerlog.f':
It looks like you may be mixing compilers. That is, the NCAR Graphics binaries may have been built with "g77" and you are using another compiler like pgf90 to link your program.

This is okay, but when you do this, you usually have to "help" your compiler find the g2c library, which is where these symbols are found.

Try adding "-lg2c" to your compile line. If your compiler can't find the g2c library, then you'll have to locate it yourself, and then include a -L option telling the compiler where it it is, for example "-L/sw/lib -lg2c".
If the two compilers in question are not binary compatible you will have to chose one or the other and compile both NCAR Graphics (NCL) and the ROMS plotting package with the same compiler. I would suggest going with the compiler that NCAR Graphics (NCL) was compiled with.

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

#3 Unread post by jivica »

Safe bet is if you get binary for NCL (compiled with g77 ... gcc) and compile roms_plotting package as well with g77
see if that is working *get netcdf compiled with g77 as well*.. compilation of ncl with ifort take some time and can be tricky..

Just one quick question for plotting; say temp field at -2m depth;
I get nans at region where my "s coordinate" is quite stretched at the surface (the deepest part of domain),
but still zeta is positive! Consider that tidal oscillations in the Adriatic + all other effects on the surface are normally withing +/- 1m.
I want to plot temp at -2m depth than I get many nans or to say white regions in the deep part of domain....
Do not know does any get similar behavior? Something like if you are in the very first layer and want to have slice in it you get nan....
Ivica

rouf

#4 Unread post by rouf »

Thanks Robertson. I compiled the package sucessfully.

Rouf