tuning salinity

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

nageswararao

tuning salinity

#1 Unread post by nageswararao »

Hi all,

Firt of all, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of u.
I have some problems with salinity output. When I am trying to simulate climatological salinity, the bay of bengal surface salinity is increasing contiuously while SST is ok . First year SSS is ok, after that it is increasing abnormally. My grid is 30E to 140E and -30 to 30 with 40 levels in vertical. I am using Mellor-Yamada 2.5 mixing scheme. I have one more problem, i.e, the bay of bengal low saline water is not intruding into the Arabian sea during the months November, December, January, etc.... I was stuck with these problems long ago and working out to solve them. But I can't. I am in a belief that some surface low saline water which is stucked below the surface waters of bay may be causing the Bay of bengal salinity to increase. So I thought that there should be no mixing into vertical levels for salinity. So how and where can I tune Mellor-Yamada mixing scheme for salinity. I had found some constants and coefficients in mod_scalars.F file. But they are more in no. How to adjust also I am not understanding. Anyone please throw light on how I cannot mix salinity in vertical.
Secondly, I thought that my forcing fields are wrong so I am not getting intrusion from Bay of bengal to Arabian sea. So I tried all types of data sets namely COADS, NCEP reanalysis, OMIP, ERA-15, ERA-40, HOAPS for freshwater flux, Quickscat winds. But anyone of the above didnt give me satisfactory solution for my problem. For every forcing, first year run is ok, but after that it is going wrong. But we cannot rely on first year output since it is just the memory of our input. So, please let me know how can I overcome this problem.

With best regards,
G.NageswaraRao.