Cannot run upwelling test case

Bug reports, work arounds and fixes

Moderators: arango, robertson

mmagaldi

Cannot run upwelling test case

#1 Unread post by mmagaldi »

Hello everybody,

I have recently donwloaded the trunk and installed Roms (Revision 1188) on a new system where all dependencies are compiled via Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler version 2023.2.0 .

I would like first to run the upwelling test case in serial. I am able to compile Roms without problems (see summary below) obtaining the executable romsS file

Code: Select all

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
GNU Build script command:      build_roms.sh -j 4
ROMS source directory:         /home/marcello/RomsAug23
ROMS build  directory:         /home/marcello/RomsAug23/Projects/test_upwelling/expSer_Aug23/Build_roms
ROMS Application:              UPWELLING
Fortran compiler:              ifort
Fortran flags:                 -fp-model precise -heap-arrays -ip -O3 -traceback -check uninit
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
When trying to run the code, Roms does not go thru and I get the following weird error right at the beginning:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Model Input Parameters:  ROMS/TOMS version 4.2  
                          Tuesday - August 8, 2023 -  3:04:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
forrtl: severe (153): allocatable array or pointer is not allocated
Image              PC                Routine            Line        Source             
romsS              0000000000804626  get_metadata_mod_         977  get_metadata.f90
romsS              00000000006D4CFA  mod_ncparam_mp_in        1165  mod_ncparam.f90
romsS              000000000060B49A  read_phypar_              240  read_phypar.f90
romsS              00000000005F3C69  inp_par_mod_mp_in          85  inp_par.f90
romsS              000000000040FD0F  roms_kernel_mod_m          86  roms_kernel.f90
romsS              000000000040F81B  MAIN__                     75  master.f90
romsS              000000000040F60D  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          00007F887CE29D90  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
libc.so.6          00007F887CE29E40  __libc_start_main     Unknown  Unknown
romsS              000000000040F525  Unknown               Unknown  Unknown
I am making sure that the local roms_upwelling.in file points to the correct path for the varinfo.yaml file.

I am very likely doing something stupid and will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,
marcello
Four Stars on my soccer shirt now!

arango
Site Admin

Re: Cannot run upwelling test case

#2 Unread post by arango »

Did you specified the correct location of varinfo.yaml? We recommend Users download the ROMS test repository. Everything is set up and isolated for you.

mmagaldi

#3 Unread post by mmagaldi »

Hi Hernan,

yes I am sure to have specified the correct location of varinfo.yaml.

I have also downloaded the test repo and used the build_roms.sh script under the test/upwelling directory together with header and input files in the same dir as indeed they are different from those under ROMS/External and ROMS/Include.

Nothing: exactly the same error.

I am clueless...

mmagaldi

#4 Unread post by mmagaldi »

It really beats me as the issue seems to arise after the

CALL YML%destroy ()
at L985 of the get_metadata.F file having IsYaml defined as TRUE

robertson
Site Admin

#5 Unread post by robertson »

I was able to reproduce your error by installing and using the same version of the Intel compiler (2023.2.0 released July 13, 2023). I tracked the issue in the TotalView debugger and appears to be a compiler bug. If you have access to an earlier version of the compiler I would try using that instead. Because of an unrelated issue (unexplained segmentation violation in a different piece of software) we have been using 2023.0.0. There is an update to the Fortran compiler (2023.2.1) that I will test and let you know if it fixes the problem.

mmagaldi

#6 Unread post by mmagaldi »

robertson wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:23 pm I was able to reproduce your error by installing and using the same version of the Intel compiler (2023.2.0 released July 13, 2023). I tracked the issue in the TotalView debugger and appears to be a compiler bug. If you have access to an earlier version of the compiler I would try using that instead. Because of an unrelated issue (unexplained segmentation violation in a different piece of software) we have been using 2023.0.0. There is an update to the Fortran compiler (2023.2.1) that I will test and let you know if it fixes the problem.
Thanks David. Good to know I wasn't doing something stupid. Will try the 2023.0.0 as soon as I have time to recompile all dependencies.
m.

mmagaldi

#7 Unread post by mmagaldi »

robertson wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:23 pm I was able to reproduce your error by installing and using the same version of the Intel compiler (2023.2.0 released July 13, 2023). I tracked the issue in the TotalView debugger and appears to be a compiler bug. If you have access to an earlier version of the compiler I would try using that instead. Because of an unrelated issue (unexplained segmentation violation in a different piece of software) we have been using 2023.0.0. There is an update to the Fortran compiler (2023.2.1) that I will test and let you know if it fixes the problem.
Ok different things:
  • I did download both new patches for the C and Fortran compilers (2023.2.1) but unfortunately got the same error;
  • I did download and use the (2023.0.0) version for the compilers to recompile all dependencies as suggested by David and everything is fine: the upwelling test case runs both in serial and parallel mode with openMPI;
  • Not sure it is important but a very old version of ROMS that was already there in our systems (specifically Revision 854, July 2017) is also working fine and runs both in serial and parallel mode with the new (2023.2.0) Intel oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler version.
I will stick to the (2023.0.0) version. Thanks again for all your help!
Marcello

arango
Site Admin

#8 Unread post by arango »

Great. The versioning of the ifort is weird. I used 2023.0.0 in our Spack-Stack for ROMS-JEDI:

pontus % which ifort
/opt/sw/apps/intel/oneapi/compiler/2023.0.0/linux/bin/intel64/ifort
pontus % ifort --version
ifort (IFORT) 2021.8.0 20221119
Copyright (C) 1985-2022 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
We noticed that every time it is updated, they introduce compiler bugs. The YAML parser is a complicated modern code. I plan to add a self-contained program into ROMS/Programs to test the viability of compiler versions.

foolishwhy

#9 Unread post by foolishwhy »

Is there any solution for this issue? I've met the same problem. The upwelling case can be run with ROMS 3.9 (without yaml) on the same machine.

robertson
Site Admin

#10 Unread post by robertson »

As of now, the only fix is to use 2023.0.0 or older. It is questionable whether Intel will fix this since they are phasing out the classic C/C++ (icc/icpc) and Fortran (ifort) compilers in favor of their newer LLVM based counterparts (icx, icpx, and ifx).

foolishwhy

#11 Unread post by foolishwhy »

Thanks. I will try older Intel compiler.

robertson
Site Admin

#12 Unread post by robertson »

I am unsure what version actually corrected this compiler bug but I'm happy to report that Intel OneAPI 2024.0 (i.e. 2021.11.1 for the classic compilers) fixes this problem.