Avg file output for NLM sweep instead of ADJ?

Discussion about tangent linear and adjoint models, variational data assimilation, and other related issues.

Moderators: arango, robertson

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

Avg file output for NLM sweep instead of ADJ?

#1 Unread post by jivica »

Dear Hernan and the rest of DA community,

I've noticed that in the latest ROMS build (updated today to 1037) we have output of the ADJ model in the "average file" output (avg_outer0.nc and then for new outer loops in avg_outer1.nc etc).
Is there a way to get average output from the NLM model (analysis in the last sweep) and/or (background)?
I can see that now we have fwd_outerX.nc files holding all info from NLM trajectories (0 is background, 1 is first outer loop etc).
This is quite useful to track changing NLM background around which we are computing corrections. In the similar way multiple outer loops are saved in single quick files.
If I wanted to get final corrections being made for say shflux,sustr,svstr I could do simple ncks -y sub -v shflux,sustr,svstr fwd_outerX.nc fwd_outer0.nc -o shflux_diff.nc (where X is the last outer loop - should be the final sweep?).
Is this still the case with the new output scheme?

I guess ROMS is using classical NLM file names (like avg) to store ADJ values. This is great but we might need old NLMs as well.

Thanks for your answer in advance,
Cheers
Ivica