Soundspeed for ROMS output

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

colberg

Soundspeed for ROMS output

#1 Unread post by colberg »

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has some code that calculates the soundspeed from ROMS output files ?

Cheers
Frank

arango
Site Admin

Re: Soundspeed for ROMS output

#2 Unread post by arango »

It has been in ROMS plotting package that uses the NCAR's GKS library since the beginning. Check the file src/Utility/svel.F in the plot repository. It uses the Che and Millero (1976) formula.

Chen, C.T. and F.J. Millero, 1976: re-evaluation of Willson sound-speed measurements in pure water. J. Acoust. Soc. of Amer., 60(6), 1270-1273

I am not familiar with the literature of sound speed computation. I bet that there are newer formulations out there.

Also, it will be very trivial to compute from ROMS nonlinear equation of state since it has all the variables that it needs:

Code: Select all

svel2 = ABS(10000.0./(den * gamma))
svel = SQRT(svel2);
where gamma is the adiabatic and isentropic compressibility coefficient (1/Pa).

wilkin

#3 Unread post by wilkin »

There is also code in the CSIRO seawater toolbox for Matlab (function sw_svel) though seawater has been superseded by the Gibbs SeaWater (GSW) toolbox for TEOS-10
http://www.teos-10.org/pubs/gsw/html/gsw_contents.html
and in there it is function gsw_sound_speed
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

colberg

#4 Unread post by colberg »

Thanks guys !

Hernan - OK - I remember having problems with compiling the plotting package in the past due to ncarg library. I'll give it another go.

Generally I think it would be nice to decouple the soundspeed calculation from the actual plotting routines and be able to write it into the average or history output files given T and S.

I look into this.

arango
Site Admin

#5 Unread post by arango »

Just do it in Matlab.