Question about coarse2fine

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

nmichelet

Question about coarse2fine

#1 Unread post by nmichelet »

Hello everyone,
I have several questions about coarse2fine, the grid refinement routine. Concerning the bathymetry how does it interpolate from the coarse one to the fine grid?
I also have a pretty good resolution on my bathymetry and I would like my grids to interpolate directly from it and not from the coarse grid, is it possible?
Thanks

kate

Re: Question about coarse2fine

#2 Unread post by kate »

Coarse2fine is going to give you a coarse bathymetry and land mask. You'll have to edit it afterwards to get what you want. You might try some blending of the two bathymetries right at the boundary if it gives you grief there at run time. Check the Mason et al. reference for the Shchepetkin BC for some insight into what they do.

nmichelet

#3 Unread post by nmichelet »

Thank you Kate I will take a look at that

johan.navarro.padron

#4 Unread post by johan.navarro.padron »

Hello everyone.
I'm new to coarse2fine and i have a problem in get_roms_grid.m with nc_inq() function.
I don't have that function.
Is this function part of mexcdf tools? In that case, in wish version of mexcdf is available?
Thanks in advance

wilkin

#5 Unread post by wilkin »

nc_inq.m is in the myroms Matlab tools in the subdirectory netcdf which is at the same level in the Matlab hierarchy at the subdirectory grid where you have coarse2fine.m. You can download with a similar svn command to what you used to get grid/coarse2fine.m etc.

None of the nesting Matlab tools need mexcdf anymore. We have gone over to using the native Matlab netcdf functions.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

neelbasak08
Location: Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala, PN, India

#6 Unread post by neelbasak08 »

Hello !

I see this a thread discussing issues pertaining to coarse2fine.m matlab script .

I am also using coarse2fine.m script for the first time and hence facing an issue. I am trying to create a finer grid from my initial coarse grid for my nesting purpose in ROMS model. The region I wanted my refinement is a portion with the coarser grid having the boundary cordinates : [longitude left = 123; longitude right = 125; latitude lower = 9; latitude upper = 12]. My coarser grid lies between these set of cordinates roughly : [longitude left = 115; longitude right = 129; latitude lower = 3.9; latitude upper = 19].

Code: Select all

I executed the matlab script using the following command in command window :
>> Imin = 123;
>> Imax = 125;
>> Jmin = 9;
>> Jmax = 12;
>>
F = coarse2fine('phillipines_grd_1.nc','phillipines_grd_1_fine.nc',3,Imin, Imax, Jmin, Jmax);
Output was successful and it gave a netcdf file output.
Interpolating from coarse to fine ...
But when I try to view the grid in matlab it kind of breaks and doesn't look like the grid I wanted to make . Infact, all coastline, boundaries, mesh disappears. It remains just a bunch of blue squares and that too very big. Nothing appears on the refined one. I checked my coarse grid but it was fine with all coastline, boundaries, bathymetry,mesh,masking etc. But nothing seems to appear in my refined grid. What might be the issue here ? I am unable to figure it out.

Is it because of something called PSI point required in Imin,Imax etc. I am not sure about PSI points and so I used cordinates for those variables. Or is it a different issue altogether that I am missing ? Any way to rectify this ?

I was unable to add an attachment of the same as this post seems to not accept any attachment hence I am attaching link to the thread I had asked it originally a few days back. It has the grids, logs and images demonstrating my problems. viewtopic.php?p=22407#p22407

I was following the Lake Jersey Nesting example as a basis for my own model https://www.myroms.org/wiki/Lake_Jersey ... troduction

Any help in any kind is deeply appreciated.

Kind regards
-Neel