Using SWAN result as an initial input data

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

ita

Using SWAN result as an initial input data

#1 Unread post by ita »

Hi,
I am trying to model the transport of sediment discharged from a small river (flux ~10m^3/s) into ocean, which possibly has some radioactivity. Attached picture shows the bathymetry around the river mouth.
By preliminary calculations we have identified the dominant mechanisms of transport:
1: wave-induced suspension
2: wind-induced current
Other factors, such as off-shore current, tidal current, and river plume current are negligible.
Since the amount of sediment is very small and does not change the bathymetry, we don't need strong-coupling between ROMS and SWAN, as in the inlet_test case. Instead, we'd like to read the UBOT data of SWAN (stationary calculation) result and simulate the transport of sediment in ROMS.

My question is: is it possible to read bottom orbital velocity data at the startup and incorporate it to the sediment transport simulation?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
a.png
a.png (92.71 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

jcwarner

Re: Using SWAN result as an initial input data

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

You can use swan outputs to drive roms, without direct coupling. Here is an m file that reads swan mat files and creates a roms netcdf forcing file. let me know if you have any questions.
-john
Attachments
swanmat2roms.m
(11.28 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

ita

#3 Unread post by ita »

Thank you very much.
Unfortunately none of my colleagues has MATLAB license, so I'll search some compatible tools.

ngarg

#4 Unread post by ngarg »

Hi,
I think you can rewrite a similar script for python, where you import .mat using scipy.io. It will be a fair bit of work but you can use that script for many runs.

Cheers
nikhil