Restart-Data do not append to existing file

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

cathyyangfeng

Restart-Data do not append to existing file

#1 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

I met a problem when I tried to use the "restart" function of ROMS3.0. I hope my data could append to the existing "HIS" and "DIA" file. But it never happens, I have set NRREC > 0 and LDEFOUT = F.

Here is a detail:

My time step was by minutes, and I wrote the records to "HIS" and "DIA" file by day. For each file, it contains 25 records.

I hope I can do an Exact Restart, so I set

NRREC = 2
LcycleRST == T
NRST == 1

For keeping only the last two records in the restart file,

The Output history, average, diagnostic files parameters are:

LDEFOUT = F

NHIS == 1440
NDEFHIS == 36000
NTSAVG == 1
NAVG == 14400
NDEFAVG == 36000
NTSDIA == 1
NDIA == 1440
NDEFDIA == 36000

RSTNAME == myrst.nc

I what the model run for the whole year, so I set
NTIMES = 525600

After the model run 3 month on the cluster, the program stopped because limited time and space for each user. The his(dia)_0001.nc his(dia)_0002.nc his(dia)_0003.nc files and rst.nc file produced. I remove the *0001.nc and *0002.nc. The *0003.nc has only 20 records. I restart my running. However, the data could not append to the existing *0003.nc file but start from a new one. I thought this may be because of the removal of *0001.nc *0002.nc files. So, I run the model again then restart. But the new produced file still not appending but covering the original *0001.nc and *0002.nc files!

I think I have made the correct setting (LDEFOUT = F, NRREC = 2) for the appending, is there anyone met the same problem? Please help me out, thanks so much!

kate

Re: Restart-Data do not append to existing file

#2 Unread post by kate »

In my opinion, this has been buggy for years. It's easier just to move the old files to storage and let it make new ones (LDEFOUT = T). I rewrote it at one point and Hernan sort of put it into the distribution ROMS, but it hasn't been through a regression test ensuring that it does the right thing in all cases. That would be a test I would ask for in the test framework that's being developed at USGS.

cathyyangfeng

Re: Restart-Data do not append to existing file

#3 Unread post by cathyyangfeng »

Thanks a lot for the soon reply. I'll just move and change the name right now.