Can roms do the momentum and tracer modeling sepatately?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

zhaoqian

Can roms do the momentum and tracer modeling sepatately?

#1 Unread post by zhaoqian »

Hi ,
I want to simulate the hydrodynamical fields first, and then use the output date to drive the tracer module.
Thank you!

kate

Re: Can roms do the momentum and tracer modeling sepatately?

#2 Unread post by kate »

So you want to run with momentum and active tracers, then later with passive/bio tracers? I think my branch can do that while it would be harder with the trunk code. Or by tracers do you mean temperature and salinity? That would make less sense to me.

Anyway, the OFFLINE code works by reading in a series of model output into the climatology fields, copying them to the model state (u,v,T,S), then advecting either floats or passive tracers around.

zhaoqian

#3 Unread post by zhaoqian »

Hi Kate:
kate wrote:So you want to run with momentum and active tracers, then later with passive/bio tracers?

Yes,I want to run with momentum and active tracers(T、S),store the data, and then run with passive tracers(N,cod) using these data.
kate wrote: I think my branch can do that while it would be harder with the trunk code. Or by tracers do you mean temperature and salinity? That would make less sense to me.

Anyway, the OFFLINE code works by reading in a series of model output into the climatology fields, copying them to the model state (u,v,T,S), then advecting either floats or passive tracers around.
Would you please explain the above method in detail?
Thank you!

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

In my branch of ROMS, there is a cpp option: OFFLINE_BIOLOGY. This is exactly what it's for, though I have never used this option. There is a related OFFLINE_FLOATS which has been checked more recently. So if you have access to my branch (ask Dave Robertson) then #define OFFLINE_BIOLOGY. Otherwise you will have to reproduce what it does, which is to timestep all tracers except T and S.