Confused results when using 'AVERAGE_DETIDE'

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

FengZhou

Confused results when using 'AVERAGE_DETIDE'

#1 Unread post by FengZhou »

Hi,all,

My ROMS is v3.4, ticket 512, with only one tidal component-M2. These days, I want to obtain the tidal residual currents in my region, so I have tried the following method as supposed as before in the forum.

(1) the simple method of time average by:
set DT == 216.0104d0
NAVG == 2070
NDEFAVG == 20700
in the ocean.in file and define 'AVERAGES' and 'AVERAGES_DETIDE' in the cpp file.

then after 60 days simulation, the residual flow can be extracted from the 'u' and 'v' of the file avg.nc as following:
M2 residual flow in the Bohai Sea, plotted by u and v in the avg.nc.

or by 'u_detided' and 'v_detided' since I have also defined 'AVERAGES_DETIDE' in the cpp file. The results as follows:

M2 residual flow in the Bohai Sea, plotted by u_detided and v_detided in the avg.nc. setting: DT == 216.0104d0; NAVG == 2070; AVERAGES and AVERAGES_DETIDE.

The results from different time index remain nearly constant.

I thought that the 'u'/'v' and 'u_detided'/'v_detided' in the avg.nc should have been similar to each other on the basis of my cpp configuration. But they are different completely. It looks like the u_detided/v_detides results are residuals of the M2 residual flow (u/v) by ROMS filtering methods.

So, my first question: what exact means of the results of 'u_detided' and 'v_detided' (they are very small but not zero) in the above case?

The second question is: how to set dt and NAVG perfectly if we want to extract non-tidal flows when simulating 2 or more tidal constitutes?

Thank you in advance!

zhou

Thank you all!

FengZhou

Re: Confused results when using 'AVERAGE_DETIDE'

#2 Unread post by FengZhou »

When I simulated 5 tidal components with constant temperature and salinity and no winds, the model didn't yields the correct residual flows even after 1 years running. my configuration in this case is:
NAVG == 12960
NDEFAVG == 155520

NTIMES == 777600
DT == 200.0d0