ROMS Wetting/Drying

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

lanerolle

ROMS Wetting/Drying

#1 Unread post by lanerolle »

I am using ROMS 3.0 version svn: $Id: Version 90 2007-07-30 17:36:53Z arango $ for a wetting/drying application in AK. I have been experiencing some numerical instabilities which are hard to get rid of. Have the ROMS wetting/drying algorithms been updated since this version? If so, which version of ROMS has the latest wetting/drying algorithms and is there some documentation on how to employ it in an optimal fashion?

Many thanks.

jcwarner

Re: ROMS Wetting/Drying

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

I just updated my coawst system to include the latest version of ROMS svn 452.
There were some differences in what the newer roms version had compared to my previous method for wetdry. I ran some of my test cases with the new code for wet/dry and they all passed. I got the same answers as with older version. These test cases include an analytical 2D application based on an Oey POM-WAD paper, a dam break test case, and application to Grizzly Bay (realistic). Attached file is some of the figs for wet dry paper.

I know that others have had troubles but i know of people that have had very good success.
There are a lot issues that go on. We are actively running nearshore applications, but have not modified anything yet. Need to run the newer code thru some more applications to see if we get any problems.

It is difficult to understand what the problems are. Perhaps we can discuss at the meeting in HI.
Attachments
wetdry_roms_figures1.pdf
(449.17 KiB) Downloaded 223 times

lanerolle

#3 Unread post by lanerolle »

Thanks for your quick reply. So, if I were to download ROMS svn 452 from Rutgers today then :

(1) this would have the latest ROMS wetting/drying algorithms and,
(2) it would contain your improvements and modifications to the algorithms and,
(3) it would also contain improvements and modifications made by other developers?

Could you please confirm the above and also let us know about (2), (3)?

jcwarner

#4 Unread post by jcwarner »

Many many moons ago i submitted a set of algorithms to allow wet/dry option. Those algorithms were incorporated into Rutgers trunk. Over time, methods are modified, moved around, etc by others. I do not have time to weekly update to the Rutgers trunk and check every week that the methods keep working. I used to do that, but I do not have time to do that anymore.

I have a version of the code that I use, modify, etc. I monitor the rutgers trac changes, and if there are major issues, i update them into my working code.

On about a yearly time scale, or whenever the Rutgers release appears to have stabilized, i update to that version. That is what i am doing now. I notice many changes, to wetdry, drifters, diagnostics, etc. I am running some tests to see what the changes have done. I have found some issues with diagnotics, and trying to figure that out. I am not sure what the modifications to wetdry will do. I will work on that as i use the new code. My initial tests for the wet dry appear to be favorable, as shown in the attached file on last post. It worked well for several tests and the realistic application to Grizzly Bay. But it will need more testing. If i find something wrong, then i will work to correct it.
So:

The option (1) - it would contain the latest version, not fully tested.
The option (2) - as i use the model, if i encounter problems i will correct it.
The option (3) - that is a rare occurrence. I know of some others that have modified the wetdry to deal with issues, but i am not sure if those issues are realted to their specific model stup (like resolution, bathy smoothing, etc) or not. So i am reluctant to just add ad-hoc fixes that others may have used.