Coupling ROMS and WRF

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

dewi

Coupling ROMS and WRF

#1 Unread post by dewi »

Hello,

I am going to couple ROMS and WRF to have information about water circulation and whirls creation on South Africa region for the GOODHOPE project. I know C.Moore has already work on that but I didn't find anything more recent on the web. Do you know what tools I should use? Any advice?

Thanks

Dewi Le Bars

jivica
Location: The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia

Re: Coupling ROMS and WRF

#2 Unread post by jivica »

Well for fully coupling I can not help you :( ,
but if you need info for preparing WRF forcing for ROMS (variables, and so on) I can.. :wink:
One thing that you can do is run ROMS forced with WRF (1 way) and than save in time SST from ROMS and then feed it into next loop for WRF...
in a few iterations you should get some improvement .. it is dirty trick but straight forward :evil: and the question is how god you want to be..
iterations are very powerful thing!
Cheers
Ivica

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

The USGS gang has already done this, at least in draft form. Perhaps one of them can post here on the status of that work.

drews

#4 Unread post by drews »

I just finished setting up a one-way forcing from WRF to ROMS (my Master's thesis project). I moved a 12-km grid of hurricane Katrina 2005 to the Philippines and sent it over Manila to see what storm surge would result. It works. The ROMS developers have set up a very nice scheme for time interpolation! :D But I had to do the grid interpolation myself in Python (increase the resolution and translate it to the Pacific). Here is some information that might be useful:

Parameter | WRF grid | ROMS grid
Horizontal resolution | 12 kilometers | 900 meters
Time step for calculation | 1 hour | 1 second
Time interval for data collection | 1 hour | 6 minutes
Map projection | Lambert conformal | Square lat-lon grid
Grid type | Standard x-y | Arakawa C-grid (staggered)
Variables | U10, V10, PSFC | sustr, svstr, Pair

Table 8.2. Comparison of the WRF and ROMS model grids.

The variables sustr, svstr, and Pair become your forcing file for ROMS. If you are truly coupling, you'll have to do all this "live".

Carl