TS_FIXED with TS_PASSIVE defined

Discussion of how to use ROMS on different regional and basin scale applications.

Moderators: arango, robertson

ocecept

TS_FIXED with TS_PASSIVE defined

#1 Unread post by ocecept »

Hi guys;

I'm running a test using TS_FIXED to get the free-surface and momentum that balances a specific temperature and salinity field. That work's fine.

I tried to used T_PASSIVE to get some dyes working. Unfortunately TS_FIXED fix all the tracers and not only salinity and temperature as I supposed :oops: based in what Herman told about the diagnostic run in this post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1165&hilit=ts_fixed.

Any idea how to get it T_PASSIVE working with TS_FIXED? Or how to get the same effect?

TS_FIXED is basically setup in pre_step3d.

Many thanks;

Carlos Teixeira

arango
Site Admin

Re: TS_FIXED with TS_PASSIVE defined

#2 Unread post by arango »

No, it is not possible. The TS_FIXED turns off completely the time-stepping of all tracers (active and passive) in ROMS. To do what you want it will require a lot of hacking to the tracer loop DO itrc=1,NT(ng). It is a major hack :!: We are not in the position to do such a thing, sorry. It will affect adjoint-based algorithms, boundary conditions, and parallel exchanges. The ROMS kernel is designed in such a way that all tracers are defined in a single 5D-array, t(x,y,z,time,itrc). This allows us to expand tracers very easily in ecosystem, sediment, and dye modeling.

Any way, why do want to do a thing like this?

ocecept

Re: TS_FIXED with TS_PASSIVE defined

#3 Unread post by ocecept »

Thanks for your replay;

Some times I look part of the code and the solution looks simple, but I'm sure the Kernel is a lot more complex than it :oops: . That's ok.. I will try another solution 8) .

Now let me explain my idea:

I'm modeling an inverse estuary (Spencer Gulf, South Australia), where we have a very strong density gradient during the summer and winter. Basically, we have very dense water in the head of the gulf and lighter water in the ocean and it produce strong currents.

I used summer temperature and salinity distribution with TS_FIXED to get the associated sea level and currents. It works fine. I'm happy with the results and the input that it gave to my work. After that I was trying to use some tracers to explore some ideas. But that's fine, I don't want to create problems.

The diagnostic run was just the first step. Now I will run the model with the proper, wind stress, heat and water flux and I hope to get the summer scenario. After that I will be able to explore my ideas with the passive tracer option.

Again, many thanks for your explanation.

Carlos Teixeira