Average file problem

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

javadi

Average file problem

#1 Unread post by javadi »

Hi

I have not understood one point!

We have three files output including history, average, and diagnostics!

I am going to save the monthly mean file. For this reason, I put the average file, for example, NAVG=24*3600*30/100=25920(100 is the time step) to average one month for example from January. But, the model saves on 15 January a record and continues it!
How can the model save the file on 30 January?

another point is that I am going to increase NDIA for saving space? is not matter to history and average file?

wilkin

Re: Average file problem

#2 Unread post by wilkin »

Your average is from 1 January to 30 January, so the date written to the output file to be associated with the average is the average time, 15 January. Makes sense.

If you look at the log closely you will see that WRT_AVG executes on January 30, as it must because not until then can it have accumulated all the data to form the average, but the time written to the file will be the average time of the interval.

Strictly speaking, we could make the basis of the average more explicit in the netcdf file by invoking the cell methods provisions in CF Conventions (see example 7.4 here https://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conve ... 07s03.html) and add a time_bnds attribute to ocean_time in averages and diagnostics files.
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu