Which most worthy test case to Kuroshio current ?

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

Tsuguhito.Nishigaki

Which most worthy test case to Kuroshio current ?

#1 Unread post by Tsuguhito.Nishigaki »

Dear every ROMS users and experts

I am Nishigaki, I have experienced ROMS simulation for half a year.
I wish to simulate the Japan-nearly sea current, Kuroshio, which current along the south-west islands of Japan to South Kyusyu, for example, Tokara islands, Yakushima, Tanegashima, and so on. (For all your recognition, I added the figure about the calculating area. Yet this figure was drawn my own viewer made by me using GMT commands.)

At the beginning, I could simulate the test case “UPWELLING”. Next, so I have prepared the initial fields on this area for ROMS and simulated, but IMMEDIATELY, ROMS has blown up many and many times.
In the process, I have rewritten the ROMS source code of the test case “UPWELLING”, so I wonder it will be worse. Which most worthy test case to my simulation are in many ROMS test cases? If I knew even it, it seems I could.

I am a ROMS user but a beginner for simulation. So, I don’t know even this cheap problem for experts as well as Rutgers and UCLA members. Would anyone teach me about the best test case for my simulation ?

However, very unfortunately, till the end of THIS MONTH, 31-th Mar., I can have worked this simulation job. So, from 1-st Apr., the other member of my research group will take over my job from me. And then, please teach him about this problem.

Thanks.
Attachments
Initial field of Kuroshio near the south-west islands of Japan made  on JMA current data
Initial field of Kuroshio near the south-west islands of Japan made on JMA current data

shchepet

Re: Which most worthy test case to Kuroshio current ?

#2 Unread post by shchepet »

...In the process, I have rewritten the ROMS source code of the test case “UPWELLING”
Obviously, going from upwelling toy problem to a full-complexity, realistic regional nested
Kuroshio simulation is a long way to go, and you have to rewrite a lot. But if the question
is what pre-configured example among available is the best starting point for what you want
to accomplish, then the answer is none, and it is simply a wrong question: it takes way more
to get it going, not just ROMS code itself -- although most needed components and cooking
recipes are already there.

...Next, so I have prepared the initial fields on this area for ROMS and simulated,
but IMMEDIATELY, ROMS has blown up many and many times...
Based on your post it is hard to say why... But is there any way to get hold of the initial
fields, and, I presume wind, heat flux, side boundary forcing files you have prepared?