Reading ROMS files in R (R-project)

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

wilkin

Reading ROMS files in R (R-project)

#1 Unread post by wilkin »

Can anyone point me to help on code/utilities that will correctly interpret the ROMS ocean_s_coordinate_g1 and ocean_s_coordinate_g2 (defined in CF conventions) when reading ROMS output netcdf files in "R" (https://www.r-project.org)?
John Wilkin: DMCS Rutgers University
71 Dudley Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8521, USA. ph: 609-630-0559 jwilkin@rutgers.edu

mdsumner

Re: Reading ROMS files in R (R-project)

#2 Unread post by mdsumner »

At base you can use the ncdf4 package, the system deps are in the source tar ball:

https://cran.rstudio.com/web/packages/ncdf4/index.html

A bit of simplistic pseudo code.

Code: Select all

## install.packages("ncdf4") ## assuming system deps are installed
library(ncdf4)
rfile <- "/path/to/roms/r0001.nc"
nc <- nc_open(rfile)
## standard var-get, optional arguments start/count
myvar <- nvar_get(nc, "ocean_s_coordinate_g1") 
But, I don't know exactly what "ocean_s_coordinate_g1" means here. My ROMS output examples don't have this as an explicit variable. Is this the depth of every cell in [XI,ETA, W]?

From what I've seen we'd need to take the "h" variable and multiply it out by the "Cs_r" stretching curve to get that (??)

I'm writing R tools for ROMS, still in early development but I can help you get what you need. I prefer to use the ncdf4 tools via the raster package, which takes a bit of care (since it assumes a regular affine-grid, like GIS) but is really powerful.

Warning: I'm not proficient in either ROMS or CF, so I probably will use the wrong terms here. I'm pretty au fait with NetCDF generally though, and definitely a native in R. We're working on tools for integrating ROMS output with ecosystem models.
Dr. Michael Sumner
Software and Database Engineer
Australian Antarctic Division
203 Channel Highway
Kingston Tasmania 7050 Australia

ocefpaf

#3 Unread post by ocefpaf »

wilkin wrote:Can anyone point me to help on code/utilities that will correctly interpret the ROMS ocean_s_coordinate_g1 and ocean_s_coordinate_g2 (defined in CF conventions) when reading ROMS output netcdf files in "R" (https://www.r-project.org)?
I do not know of any R tool that does that, but if R is a necessity, you might want to investigate the possibility of using Jupyter notebooks to "glue" R and Python. There are many Python packages that read ROMS files and interpret the vertical coordinate, then you could call R on the results without saving/loading data to change languages.

Here is a quick example:

http://nbviewer.jupyter.org/gist/ocefpa ... a46987b6b4

If people are interested in trying that route I can help with the installation instructions to reproduce that notebook.

Edit: The same can be done with Matlab/Octave and R. The Jupyter notebook has kernels for many languages. See: https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki ... -languages

shchepet

#4 Unread post by shchepet »

Speaking CF-conventions....

Would it be hard to adapt and universally enforce a convention that time dimension and
the associated timing variable in any ROMS-related netCDF file have the same name?

This should apply to ROMS code itself as well as all pre- and post-processing software,
Matlab, and Python scripts.

Doing so abolishes the need to keep track of timing variable name and simplifies bookkeeping.

As of right now cat varinfo.dat | grep time > xxx results in a 584-line long output xxx.

If the convention is adopted, a sequence of calls

Code: Select all

! Determine netCDF variable ID for timing variable by assuming that 
! the file is "CF-compliant", so the name of timing variable should 
! match the name of the time dimension (as it should be a "coordinate 
! variable"), while the time dimension itself is expected to be the 
! last dimension of the primary variable.

ierr=nf_inq_varndims(ncid, varid, ndims)
               if (ierr == nf_noerr) then
                 ierr=nf_inq_vardimid(ncid, varid, dimids)
                   ierr=nf_inq_dimname(ncid, dimids(ndims), tname)
                     ltvr=lenstr(tname)
                     ierr=nf_inq_varid(ncid, tname(1:ltvr), timevarid)

becomes universally applicable and there is no need to know the name of timing
variable a priori.

JDTilley

#5 Unread post by JDTilley »

In addition to the netcdf4 library, rgdal works great with many spatial datatypes.