Changing the range would blow up

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

wavewatch

Changing the range would blow up

#1 Unread post by wavewatch »

Hello,
I am trying to simulate the south China sea current, at the first stage I choose the range : -10—27N,99—140E, and it can run normally.

However, when I change the range , -10—27N,99—150E,it blow up after 187 days. Then I try to replace the NCEP wind field with QSCAT, dramatically it still blow up in 180 days or so. And both of them collapse in the similar position.

I don’t know whether it relevant with the complex topography or the model setting……

I’m very nervous, I don’t know what should I do!!
Any clues to why this is happening would be much appreciated – following a figure with the locations of the blow up points, header file,output and oceanin.[/size]
Attachments
blow up.jpg
output.txt
(35.96 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
oceanin.in
(37.57 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
header.h
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

crowley

Re: Changing the range would blow up

#2 Unread post by crowley »

I suspect the current velocities through that pass are just too high. Try reducing your timestep a little and see if that helps.

wavewatch

#3 Unread post by wavewatch »

I try to reduce the timestep from dt=400 to dt=200,the currnt velocity is still more than 2.5 meter per second on the fifth day. In addition, I try to increase horizontal diffusion and viscosity,but it still doesn't work.

Thank you in advance!

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I have better luck fussing with the bottom drag than with horizontal smoothing, especially for such a shallow area. Still, how large are the currents supposed to be there? What is your grid spacing? Do you have tides and do they look reasonable? Perhaps you don't care about that SE corner and you can simply mask it out.

Ahumada

#5 Unread post by Ahumada »

Try with different degree of smoothing for bottom topography. For example, from strong to weak smoothing!

M.A.