WC13 compiling error

Discussion about tangent linear and adjoint models, variational data assimilation, and other related issues.

Moderators: arango, robertson

wangzc

WC13 compiling error

#1 Unread post by wangzc »

hi everyone:
My roms is $Id 645.
I try to test 4d_var with roms,so i have customized "build" script and provided exact values for ROOT directory, MY_ROOT_DIR, ..., as file(Readme) in the test/WC13/I4DVAR/ says
Then, i compiled the program, it prompts:

/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/Build/libUTIL.a(cgradient.o)(.text+0x1b4a): In function `cgradient_mod_mp_cgradient_tile_':
: undefined reference to `dsteqr_'
/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/Build/libUTIL.a(cgradient.o)(.text+0x3ffbc): In function `cgradient_mod_mp_cgradient_':
make: *** [/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/oceanM] Error 1[/b]

Anyone who had similar experience before can give me some suggestions?>
--zongchen

alanberry

Re: WC13 compiling error

#2 Unread post by alanberry »

Hi zongchen,

I too had the same problem when compiling the WC13 test cases some time ago.
relates to ARPACK/LAPACK libraries which may need to be compiled and built (depending on your existing system set-up). These libraries then need to be correctly referenced in your associated /Compilers/*.mk file in the
ifdef USE_ARPACK
section of that file.

If the ARPACK/LAPACK libraries are correctly built and referenced, you should have no problems thereafter.

Regards,
Alan Berry.

arango
Site Admin

#3 Unread post by arango »

The 4D-Var tutorials in :arrow: WikiROMS has an Instructions section to run each of these adjoint-based algorithms. It says that we need the ARPACK library to compile. If running in parallel with distributed-memory (MPI), you also need the PARPACK library.

:idea: If running ROMS complex adjoint-based algorithms, users need to read the instructions. This is not spam information for fast reading. It has to be read and understand it before running. If you don't understand this information, find help at your institution or read and assimilate the extensive literature on the subject. You are going to need this knowledge when setting your particular application. Otherwise, you will not be able to run these algorithms correctly.

There is plenty of information in this forum for the ARPACK/PARPACK libraries. We have advanced search capabilities in this forum :!:

wangzc

#4 Unread post by wangzc »

hey Alan Berry,
Thank U for your reply!
Finding ARPACK\PARPACK libraries in the trunk/Lib, so i referened them as "pwd".
ifdef USE_ARPACK
ifdef USE_MPI
# PARPACK_LIBDIR ?= /opt/intelsoft/PARPACK
PARPACK_LIBDIR ?= /export/home/wangzc/swgfs/trunk/Lib/ARPACK/PARPACK
LIBS += -L$(PARPACK_LIBDIR) -lparpack
endif
# ARPACK_LIBDIR ?= /opt/intelsoft/PARPACK
ARPACK_LIBDIR ?= /export/home/wangzc/swgfs/trunk/Lib/ARPACK
LIBS += -L$(ARPACK_LIBDIR) -larpack
endif

but error still happened!
-L/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/trunk/Lib/ARPACK/PARPACK -lparpack -L/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/trunk/Lib/ARPACK -larpack
/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/Build/libUTIL.a(cgradient.o)(.text+0x1b4a): In function `cgradient_mod_mp_cgradient_tile_':
/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/Build/libUTIL.a(cgradient.o)(.text+0x3ffbc): In function `cgradient_mod_mp_cgradient_':
make: *** [/export/home/wangzc/swgfs/projects/WC13/I4DVAR/oceanM] Error 1

what should i do next?
--zongchen

wangzc

#5 Unread post by wangzc »

hey arango,
Thank U for your guidance!
This is not spam information for fast reading.
i have really tasted it! What i want to do is assimulating gauge stations' data(now just sea level) to ROMS for improving forecasting results of storm surge.i have read so many papers about the field. At the same time,i scan all of Lectures and Exercises in :arrow:WikiROMShttps://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/4 ... troduction .i read Primal 4D-Var, Mechanics of 4D-Var and Explanation of CPP Options, ocean.in, s4dvar.in (I4D-Var) in detail, trying to copy Exercise 1.
But i have nothing know about ARPACK/PARPACK libraries. do i need to understand them or go detailed study?
--zongchen

arango
Site Admin

#6 Unread post by arango »

I don't see how you can possible tested these adjoint-based data assimilation algorithms. You always need the ARPACK/PARPACK library to compile before you run. We are using few routines from these libraries in the minimization algorithm (conjugate gradient).

wangzc

#7 Unread post by wangzc »

relates to ARPACK/LAPACK libraries which may need to be compiled and built (depending on your existing system set-up).
i sbatch workbooks in clusters, and i don't know whether ARPACK/PARPACK has been built. After searching the lib, it's sure there is nothing! So i try to compile and build the lib as Readme in the ARPACK. After a week, i succeed to accomplish the task,but it still does't work. Then i serach the problems via google, yeah, '-larpark' and 'lparpack' in the *.mk must write the form accordingly by Arpark.int.
-zongchen