Sea ice in ROMS

Discussion about modeling ice with ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

papaya

Sea ice in ROMS

#1 Unread post by papaya »

Hi,

I am trying to run ROMS in the Ross Sea, which has sea ice shelf similar to the Weddell Sea.

I find the Ice code by Kate from https://github.com/kshedstrom/roms/tree ... OMS/SeaIce

I'd better use the ICESHELF in cppdefs or the ice code for the Ross Sea case?

I suppose the Sea Ice module will perform better than ICESHELF in cppdefs, it that true?

If use the sea ice module, how can I specify it in cppdefs or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!

Fan

kate

Re: Sea ice in ROMS

#2 Unread post by kate »

There's more than one kind of ice at sea. The ICESHELF option sounds like what you are looking for. It is a rigid ice cover for which you have to provide its thickness, which can be hundreds of meters.

You may or may not also have sea ice, provided by the ICE_MODEL option. Sea ice has both dynamics and thermodynamics and is typically under ten meters thick (though it can get thicker spots up against a coastline). Sea ice is not completely rigid and can have a fractional ice cover, the other fraction being water exposed to air in leads.

Note: the ROMS trunk code might have the ICESHELF option, but my branch has additional thermodynamics with the ICESHELF code, provided by people from Old Dominion University.

papaya

Re: Sea ice in ROMS

#3 Unread post by papaya »

Kate, thanks very much.

Fan
kate wrote:There's more than one kind of ice at sea. The ICESHELF option sounds like what you are looking for. It is a rigid ice cover for which you have to provide its thickness, which can be hundreds of meters.

You may or may not also have sea ice, provided by the ICE_MODEL option. Sea ice has both dynamics and thermodynamics and is typically under ten meters thick (though it can get thicker spots up against a coastline). Sea ice is not completely rigid and can have a fractional ice cover, the other fraction being water exposed to air in leads.

Note: the ROMS trunk code might have the ICESHELF option, but my branch has additional thermodynamics with the ICESHELF code, provided by people from Old Dominion University.