how to add a continuous dye?

Discussion about coupled ecosystem models

Moderators: arango, robertson

viviocean

how to add a continuous dye?

#1 Unread post by viviocean »

Hi all,

i'm a new user, now trying to add a continuous dye in ROMS. How should I set the source? Any comments will be welcomed! Thanks a lot!

rduran

Re: how to add a continuous dye?

#2 Unread post by rduran »

Hi,

Remind me how you defined continuous die?

staalstrom

#3 Unread post by staalstrom »

Hello

This is something I also wonder about
I would define continous dye as a continous source of any tracer. It is easy to amake a variable dye_01 in the INI fil.
If you include UV_PSOURCE and TS_PSOURCE you transport the initial amount of dye around in your model area. To my knowledge a continous source of passive dye is not included in ROMS. It is possible to have continous biological tracer by spesifing consentrations in rivers. In varinfo.dat you find for instance 'river_nutrient', but you dont find 'river_dye_'. So I have never used continous sources for passive dye.

Maybe it is possible to do something in analytical.F90?

Best regards
Andre Staalstrom

rduran

#4 Unread post by rduran »

I heard someone that wanted to have a continuous release of dye used biological tracers by de-coupling them (i.e. no phytoplancton eating nutrients; make the nutrient a conservative tracer I guess). I'm not sure of the details.

I have a question of my own:

If you have an open boundary with positive dye values, does this imply that for all time during integration, any inflow will have that dye concentration when coming in the domain?

This would be like a continuous dye (as long as there is inflow).

Rodrigo

staalstrom

#5 Unread post by staalstrom »

Hi

One misprint in my last reply: I meant that you need to define T_PASSIVE to get a passive tracer.

If you for instance spesify north_dye_01 in the boundary input file, I guess this will be the concentration at the boundary if the boundary condition works as it should. But you can have more timesteps in the boundary file and let the dye concentration have a time variation.

Staalstrom