unreadable source files

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

andreykoch

unreadable source files

#1 Unread post by andreykoch »

Hello!

I followed Kate's advise from "TKE as initial field" discussion under "ROMS problems", and downloaded latest source code trunk-r186.zip. Then of course I unzipped it. When I tried to view a content of some files in emacs text editor I got the message:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "File is not readable"
"~/ROMS_3.0_new/ROMS/Include/adria02.h")
signal(file-error ("File is not readable"
"~/ROMS_3.0_new/ROMS/Include/adria02.h"))
byte-code("Ã!ƒ

Other text browsers also identified all source files as not readable. I am using Linux OS, and I logged into SVN ROMS repository under my eligible login. If someone has experienced such a problem before and would tell me how to solve it I would appreciate this a lot.

Andrey

kate

#2 Unread post by kate »

what are the file permissions on it? Can you see it with "ls -l file"? Does it have non-zero size?

andreykoch

#3 Unread post by andreykoch »

Kate, thanks again for your help!

All files have same regular size as in my old verions. And there are no permissions on them, I got ------ instead of expected "-rw-r--r--" with "ls -l" command.

Andrey

jcwarner

Re: unreadable source files

#4 Unread post by jcwarner »

how about checking out a new version using svn?
https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/Subversion

andreykoch

#5 Unread post by andreykoch »

Well, I tried to do so, but it seems I have not enough information to accomplish the downloading process of source code through svn. My machine is under Linux OS, I got latest version of smartsvn (smartsvn-3_0_9), but I have no idea how to use it to be able to download ROMS source code.

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

I agree that you should be using svn, though I can't help with Smartsvn. However, since you have the files, you can use chmod on them to make them readable.

andreykoch

#7 Unread post by andreykoch »

Kate-

Thanks a lot for your tip, I made files readable, and when I tried to compile the code with 'make' command, I got an error:

makefile:231: INCLUDING FILE Compilers/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
make: svnversion: Command not found
cp -f /opt/pgisoft/netcdf/include/netcdf.mod Build
cp: cannot stat `/opt/pgisoft/netcdf/include/netcdf.mod': No such file or directory
make: *** [Build/netcdf.mod] Error 1

which I guess is related to the way I obtained the source - without svn. I tried to compile with my old makefile, and the result was the same.

Andrey

arango
Site Admin

#8 Unread post by arango »

cp: cannot stat `/opt/pgisoft/netcdf/include/netcdf.mod': No such file or directory
make: *** [Build/netcdf.mod] Error 1
The makefile is telling you the problem right away. It cannot find the NetCDF library :!: Check where is the NetCDF library in your system and correct the path in Compilers/Linux-pgi.mk.

There is plenty information in :arrow: WikiROM. Your postings above it is telling me that you are not following the instructions :!: Use svn directly from the Linux command. It simpler and the best way.

andreykoch

#9 Unread post by andreykoch »

Hernan,

Thank you for the information, I changed the paths, and now I have the executable compiled and moreover running (!).
Your postings above it is telling me that you are not following the instructions :!: Use svn directly from the Linux command. It simpler and the best way.
I realize that using svn is the best and simpliest way to download and update the code. But somehow it doesn't work for my particular situation. Previously I tried some commands in Linux command line, like provided on https://www.myroms.org/projects/src/wiki/SvnTutorial:
./configure --with-ssl
make
sudo make

they didn't work. Whether the system couldn't recognize these commands or needed something else, I don't know.

Andrey