Is the "svnversion" necessary for compiling the RO

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

FengZhou

Is the "svnversion" necessary for compiling the RO

#1 Unread post by FengZhou »

Hi, all

I use ROMS2.2 for some time. It workes well. But now v3.0 is recommended. I have trouble in compiling the ROMS3.0. The system said:

[zhoufeng@oceanfe Ocean]$ make
: No such file or directory
makefile:231: INCLUDING FILE Compilers/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
make: svnversion: Command not found
/usr/bin/cpp -P -traditional -DLINUX -DI686 -DPGF90 -D'ROOT_DIR="/disk1/zhou/mywork/Ocean"' -DUPWELLING -D'HEADER="upwelling.h"' -D'ROMS_HEADER="upwelling.h"' -DNestedGrids=1 -D'ANALYTICAL_DIR="/disk1/zhou/mywork/Ocean/ROMS/Functionals"' -D'SVN_REV=""' -IROMS/Include -IROMS/Nonlinear -IROMS/SeaIce -IROMS/Utility -IROMS/Drivers -IROMS/Functionals -IMaster -ICompilers -D'HEADER_DIR="./ROMS/Include"' ROMS/Nonlinear/bbl.F > Build/bbl.f90
ROMS/Bin/cpp_clean Build/bbl.f90
make: *** [Build/bbl.f90] Error 127

It looks the problem comes up with "svnversion" which I don't installed on the workstation, am I right?

Is the "svnversion" necessary for compiling the codes?

Could anyone give me some clue ?

Thanks in advance.

zhou

jprinehimer

Re: Is the "svnversion" necessary for compiling th

#2 Unread post by jprinehimer »

Re: svnversion -
It shouldn't be necessary to have svnversion on a system to compile the code. The make file will continue if svnversion fails and will try to find the version of the code using a grep command (I think...). Without svnversion, you'll get an error, but the compilation process will continue. This has happened in your case as the output indicates that bbl.F has been processed by cpp and run through the script cpp-clean after svnversion failed.

Make error 127 indicates that make can't find a program that was needed to run. Have you set the FORT variable appropriately? This is generally the next step after running through cpp. Also, I've seen weird errors like this if the code was obtained using Windows svn (i.e. has Windows CR/LF line endings ) and copied to a Unix machine directly. The complier is expecting Unix (LF) line endings. While you could use the programs dos2unix or convert, it's easier to just get a clean copy using a Unix svn program.

FengZhou

#3 Unread post by FengZhou »

Yes, I use a window 'svnversion' to down the codes and then transfer to the Linux workstation. I use pgf90 compiler with the default case 'UPWELLING'. After I applied the command 'dos2unix', there are still some error messages:

$ make
makefile:231: INCLUDING FILE Compilers/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
make: svnversion: Command not found
cd Build; pgf90 -c -u -Bstatic -fastsse -Mipa=fast -tp k8-64 bbl.f90
pgf90-Error--tp k8-64 not supported in this installation
pgf90-Error--tp k8-64 available only on AMD Opteron or Athlon-64 systems
make: *** [Build/bbl.o] Error 1

what's wrong?

thank you so much.

jprinehimer

#4 Unread post by jprinehimer »

After I applied the command 'dos2unix', there are still some error messages:

Did you get every text file? Besides the .F files there are all the makefiles in the Compiliers directory, the main makefile, the varinfo.dat file, and probably a number more. I recomend using a unix or a cygwin version of svn to download a new copy of the code that has all of the correct line endings if at all possible.
pgf90-Error--tp k8-64 not supported in this installation
pgf90-Error--tp k8-64 available only on AMD Opteron or Athlon-64 systems
make: *** [Build/bbl.o] Error 1
It looks the "-tp k8-64" option is not available because you're not compiling it on an AMD system. You may need to edit the appropriate *.mk (Linux-pgi.mk maybe?) file in the Compiliers directory to set your CPP options correctly.

Good luck!

J.Paul

Barbara

#5 Unread post by Barbara »

It looks the "-tp k8-64" option is not available because you're not compiling it on an AMD system. You may need to edit the appropriate *.mk (Linux-pgi.mk maybe?) file in the Compiliers directory to set your CPP options correctly.
yes, I have changed it into "-tp p7" on my system, then it works.