Internal compiler error when installing ROMS

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

turuncu

Internal compiler error when installing ROMS

#1 Unread post by turuncu »

Hi,

I try to install ROMS but it gives following error messages,

cd Build; /SFS/progs/intel/ict/3.0/mpi/3.0/bin64/mpiifort -c -ip -O3 -xW white_noise.f90
fortcom: Severe: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report. Note: File and line given may not be explicit cause of this error.

compilation aborted for white_noise.f90 (code 3)

I am using intel compiler and intel mpi. How can i solve it ?

Best Regards,

Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu
ITU, Informatics Intitute
HPC Lab

jcwarner

#2 Unread post by jcwarner »

what is intel mpi ?

turuncu

#3 Unread post by turuncu »

intel mpi comes with intel cluster toolkit and it use generic environment for all types of interconnect using dapl drivers. It is also use mpd for connection between nodes. You can find detailed information in,

http://www.intel.com/cd/software/produc ... 308295.htm

m.hadfield

#4 Unread post by m.hadfield »

Internal compiler errors are always bugs in the compiler. They are often triggered by bad code, but the compiler should not respond to bad code by crashing. So I suggest you do what they say:
Severe: **Internal compiler error: segmentation violation signal raised** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report.

longmtm

#5 Unread post by longmtm »

I got the same problem with ifort and mpich1.2.6, the compiler complains about mp_scatter in white_noise.f90, no clue what is the problem

Wen

longmtm

Internal Compile Error

#6 Unread post by longmtm »

The compile error is solved after I installed latest version of ifort and icc. (10.0.023, IA32, 686,)

So I guess it is due to a bug in icc version 9.1.038 or earlier.

I also installed mpich1.2.7 using ifort .

A Linux-mpif90.mk is used instead of Linux-ifort.mk. Here is the contents of Linux-mpif90.mk.

No, I removed this file below because you are giving the wrong advice. It also includes older and version 3.0 contructs. This is incorrect :!: This may confuse other users. . Hernan

arango
Site Admin

#7 Unread post by arango »

No, the makefile Linux_mpif90.mk is not longer needed. This feature is obsolete. Notice that the makefile now has the USE_MPIF90 in version 3.0. Using this kind of make configuration is not good when you compile with different compilers in the same computer. Notice that all of MPI compiling scripts are named mpif90. However, the required libraries and parameters to compile and run are compiler dependent :!: . For this reason, we removed this type of set-up. The USE_MPIF90 defintion gives you more capabilities.

You need to upgrade your version of the code to ROMS 3.0. We discourage use of version 2.2. This version has several bugs that have been corrected in the new version. Notice that we no longer support version 2.2 and we are not in a position to fix it. This version is kept in the tags directory only for reference and to track ROMS evolution.
Last edited by arango on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turuncu

#8 Unread post by turuncu »

Hi,

my intel compiler version is also 9.1.038.

> icc -V
Intel(R) C Compiler for Intel(R) EM64T-based applications, Version 9.1 Build 20060323 Package ID: l_cc_p_9.1.038
Copyright (C) 1985-2006 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

i try to upgrade it. if it works for me i will let you know.

ufuk

longmtm

#9 Unread post by longmtm »

Hi Hernan,

Thanks for the clarification. We will move to ROMS3.0.

Wen