An compiling error regarding "crtbegin.o"

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

hjsong

An compiling error regarding "crtbegin.o"

#1 Unread post by hjsong »

Hi,

I was trying to compile the code with IS4DVAR, and encountered the following error.

Code: Select all

cd Build; /home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3/bin/pgf90 -c  -O3 master.f90
/home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3/bin/pgf90  -O3  Build/roms_import.o Build/propagator.o Build/master.o Build/roms_export.o Build/ocean_coupler.o Build/esmf_roms.o Build/ocean_control.o -o oceanS Build/libUTIL.a Build/libNLM.a Build/libNLM_bio.a Build/libNLM_sed.a Build/libANA.a Build/libUTIL.a Build/libMODS.a -L/home/pkg/pgi/pgi-packages/pgi-9/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.3/x86_64/lib -lnetcdf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/6.3.1/crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
This system has the following file.

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/crtbegin.o
So I thought that I simply needed to specify the path to crtbegin.o, but I haven't found the place to do it yet.
Could you help me to find the file where I can make change?

Thank you.
Hajoon

kate

Re: An compiling error regarding "crtbegin.o"

#2 Unread post by kate »

cd Build; /home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3/bin/pgf90 -c -O3 master.f90
/home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3/bin/pgf90 -O3 Build/roms_import.o Build/propagator.o Build/master.o Build/roms_export.o Build/ocean_coupler.o Build/esmf_roms.o Build/ocean_control.o -o oceanS Build/libUTIL.a Build/libNLM.a Build/libNLM_bio.a Build/libNLM_sed.a Build/libANA.a Build/libUTIL.a Build/libMODS.a -L/home/pkg/pgi/pgi-packages/pgi-9/netcdf/netcdf-3.6.3/x86_64/lib -lnetcdf
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/6.3.1/crtbegin.o: No such file or directory
Odd that pgi is looking for a gcc object. Did anything at all get compiled with gfortran or gcc first? I would do a "make clean" then try again. Have you managed to compile the forward model?

hjsong

#3 Unread post by hjsong »

Thank you, Kate, for taking a look at this problem.

I use the "build.bash" script, so it implicitly does "make clean".

I tried gfortran but got the following error.

-lnetcdff -L/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK -lparpack-mpif90 -L/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK -larpack-mpif90
/usr/bin/ld: warning: libgfortran.so.3, needed by /home/software/gcc/6.3.1/pkg/openmpi/2.1.0/lib/libmpi_usempif08.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK/libarpack-mpif90.a(dsteqr.o): In function `.C1_291':
dsteqr.f:(.data+0x50): undefined reference to `pgf90_compiled'
/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK/libarpack-mpif90.a(dswap.o):(.data+0x0): undefined reference to `pgf90_compiled'
/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK/libarpack-mpif90.a(lsame.o):(.data+0x0): undefined reference to `pgf90_compiled'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Master/Module.mk:22: /home/hajsong/LTERCCE/4dvar/oceanM] Error 1
I can find the following files instead.

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/libgfortran.so
/usr/lib64/libgfortran.so.4
I used to be able to compile the code with the pgi compiler...
Probably this system lost files associated with gcc/6.3.1 after the update...
Is there any way to specify the version of gcc in ROMS?

Thank you.
Hajoon

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

I use the "build.bash" script, so it implicitly does "make clean".
If I were to use build.bash, I would change its default behavior to let "make" work as intended. :roll:
/home/hajsong/ROMS_564/Lib/ARPACK/libarpack-mpif90.a(lsame.o):(.data+0x0): undefined reference to `pgf90_compiled'
Well, obviously not everything got cleaned out. Try recompiling arpack with gfortran. Everything, including netcdf-fortran, has to be compiled with the same compiler.

hjsong

#5 Unread post by hjsong »

Thank you, Kate.
Well, obviously not everything got cleaned out. Try recompiling arpack with gfortran. Everything, including netcdf-fortran, has to be compiled with the same compiler.
I will discuss with the system manager!

robertson
Site Admin

#6 Unread post by robertson »

I'm not positive with newer versions of PGI but with older versions you have to run the makelocalrc script (as root so you'll still need to ask the system manager) every time gcc is upgraded. In your case the system manager logged in as root should be able to run the following:

cd /home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3/bin/
./makelocalrc /home/software/pgi/17.3/linux86-64/17.3

This is almost certainly your problem given that PGI is looking for:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/6.3.1/crtbegin.o

but you have:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/crtbegin.o

hjsong

#7 Unread post by hjsong »

Thank you, David!

I will ask the system manager to do what you suggested.

Best,
Hajoon