ROMS using Windows 10

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

adundunis

ROMS using Windows 10

#1 Unread post by adundunis »

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to buy a new pc and thinking of having Windows 10 as the OS (will just use cygwin as Linux emulator).

Anyone running ROMS with Windows 10 here?
Will there be a lot of difficulties and incompatibilities?
If there are, which Windows OS do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

rduran

Re: ROMS using Windows 10

#2 Unread post by rduran »

The latest windows 10 update provides native linux ubuntu. Its supposed to run just like ubuntu you can find plenty of demos by googling it.

It would therefore seem if ubuntu users can do it that windows 10 users could do it as well ... but there is only one way to know for sure. I hope those that test it can share their experience here.

Re cygwin it seems that works as well, search around the forum.

johnluick

#3 Unread post by johnluick »

rduran, after reading your comment, I decided to look into the Ubuntu that comes with Windows 10. A Ubuntu website explained that you must first join Windows Insiders, which I did. The next step is to sign up for receiving Windows Preview Builds. When you go to do that, you receive a warning that you will get frequent notifications from Windows for new builds, and that the only way to opt out of receiving them may be to remove and replace your OS. At that point I suspended the exercise. Maybe someone more determined will forge ahead and let us know how it goes.

rduran

#4 Unread post by rduran »

Hi johnluick

thanks for your response. I have good news, starting with an update that is currently (also slowly) making its way to windows 10 users, you no longer need to be in the windows insider club. Ubuntu is still beta (not everything is functional) and you will need to have developer mode activated, but it now rolls out as part of Windows 10.

Search for "anniversary update windows 10" to see how you can download the update manually.

I also suggest that when searching for "windows 10 ubuntu" or so that you select results with recent dates. The above-mentioned update began rolling out early August so there have been important changes in the last couple of weeks.

Rodrigo.

johnluick

#5 Unread post by johnluick »

Thanks Rodrigo. I hope to give it another try (next week, inshallah). John

rduran

#6 Unread post by rduran »

just wanted to update that windows subsystem for linux is now fully released:

Another key upgrade is that the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is now fully released. Once again, there are several steps involved: enable the feature, install your preferred distro from the Store, run the app to complete.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/1 ... d_and_bad/

It is currently rolling out with update 1709 also known as falls creator update.

I have been using it for over a year now (I have not installed roms on it) and it works great in my experience.

logic_thinker
Location: Mulawarman University, Faculty of Science, Samarinda, Indonesia

#7 Unread post by logic_thinker »

johnluick wrote:Thanks Rodrigo. I hope to give it another try (next week, inshallah). John
Hi johnluick

Lately, i also using this system on my notebook and it is much easier when i have to use cross-platform applications like plot model output with matlab on windows and quick check the history files with ncview on ubuntu at the same time rather than used dual OS (wasting time on reboot processes) and WSL requires fewer resources (CPU, memory, and storage) than using a virtual machine. (i think you need to see this FAQ before try the WSL https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/faq).

Good luck on your first experience on WSL john :D .