Problem Roms installation

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

gugum

Problem Roms installation

#1 Unread post by gugum »

Dear all,
I am installing roms using tutorial from UNSW (https://www.myroms.org/wiki/ROMS_UNSW2008#Download_ROMS). while i compile
build.bash, there are errors occurs. could anyone help understand the errors ?
Many thanks

Here the errors

gugum@gugum-Z87X-D3H:~/roms/Projects/Upwelling$ ./build.bash
rm -f -r core *.ipo /home/gugum/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build /home/gugum/make_macros.mk
makefile:238: INCLUDING FILE /home/gugum/make_macros.mk WHICH CONTAINS APPLICATION-DEPENDENT MAKE DEFINITIONS
cp -f /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf3/include/netcdf.mod /home/gugum/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build
cp: tidak dapat memperoleh statistik `/opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf3/include/netcdf.mod': Tidak ada berkas atau direktori seperti itu
make: *** No rule to make target '/home/gugum/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build/netcdf.mod', needed by '/home/gugum/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build/MakeDepend'. Berhenti.
gugum@gugum-Z87X-D3H:~/roms/Projects/Upwelling$

kate

Re: Problem Roms installation

#2 Unread post by kate »

cp -f /opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf3/include/netcdf.mod /home/gugum/roms/Projects/Upwelling/Build
cp: tidak dapat memperoleh statistik `/opt/gfortransoft/serial/netcdf3/include/netcdf.mod': Tidak ada berkas atau direktori seperti itu
I assume this means "no such file". The path with gfortransoft is coming from build.bash and is meant to be the location of netcdf.mod on your system. You need to have netcdf and netcdf-fortran installed and you need to tell build.bash where you put them. They have to be compiled with the same version of gfortran you are now using to compile ROMS.

P.S. You asked elsewhere about where to go to learn ROMS. I don't know of upcoming workshops, though I wouldn't necessarily hear about them, especially overseas. This sort of question isn't basic ROMS, though, but rather basic UNIX/Linux. I would hope there are online resources for learning about using Linux and bash. I once gave a ROMS training in Bandung and the students were quite eager, but not at all prepared for dealing with the Linux infrastructure in which the modeling is done. One needs to use scripting tools for preparing inputs, looking at output, etc. Learn a language like Python or Matlab (maybe Julia?) for dealing with the Netcdf files. Other things I have found useful to know are "make", "svn", "git" and debugging (gdb, print statements, whatever).

BITNG

Re: Problem Roms installation (cloudservice instances availa

#3 Unread post by BITNG »

Updated my roms now the /usr/local/include/netcdf.mod seems to be missing any clues for a quick fix ? The Upwelling in Projects no longer works

Hmm I use homebrew/science/netcdf-4.3.3.1_4 should I change it in bash or some other script

Do any one know of a good way to run a cloud service instance of ROMS ?
Last edited by BITNG on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

kate

Re: Problem Roms installation

#4 Unread post by kate »

What do you mean, "no longer works"? What are the error messages?

I don't remember how I set up NetCDF on my Mac - maybe homebrew, maybe not. Do you have netcdf-fortran? Did things work before you updated something? A ROMS update shouldn't affect this, but a gfortran update might. Again, we need to see error message (ideally in English).