Code optimization on a Cray XC30

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

rtopper

Code optimization on a Cray XC30

#1 Unread post by rtopper »

Dear all,

I've recently gained access to a Cray XC30 machine and am trying to run COAWST experiments on it. I'm posting my question here instead of on the COAWST forum because I'm only using the ROMS component of COAWST for now.

With the Cray fortran compiler and -O3 optimization the model compiles without problems. Unfortunately, it stops running after the initialization (last output: DEF_HIS - creating history file, Grid 01: /gfs1/work/hbkrtopp/COAWST_150615/Projects/230615/out/ocean_sam_his.nc) because of a segmentation fault. Playing around with the optimization options I've found that the model runs without problems as long as IPA optimizations are off (i.e. -O3,ipa0).

I've seen other ROMS users mention that they run their code on a Cray machine and am curious to know (1) what optimizations are commonly used, (2) whether the IPA optimizations are known to cause problems, and (3) if anyone has had any recent success running ROMS with parallel IO? (most posts mentioning parallel IO on this forum are fairly old)