problems of add drag coefficient into grid

Discussion on computers, ROMS installation and compiling

Moderators: arango, robertson

pingding

problems of add drag coefficient into grid

#1 Unread post by pingding »

Hi:
I want to add drag coefficient into my gird file in order to simulate tide,so i want to known how and where ?
thanks for your help.

kate

Re: problems of add drag coefficient into grid

#2 Unread post by kate »

Well, there's more than one way to do it. I've been setting my bottom drag in ana_drag.h and therefore not changing the grid file. I do change the grid file to add a water clarity as a function of depth and I include the Python script to do that here. Just change "wtype_grid" to "rdrag" or "rdrag2" and change the function to something more appropriate.

Others here might have non-Python solutions. What are you looking for?
Attachments
add_Jwtype_map.py
Read water depth and add
(866 Bytes) Downloaded 273 times

pingding

#3 Unread post by pingding »

kate wrote:Well, there's more than one way to do it. I've been setting my bottom drag in ana_drag.h and therefore not changing the grid file. I do change the grid file to add a water clarity as a function of depth and I include the Python script to do that here. Just change "wtype_grid" to "rdrag" or "rdrag2" and change the function to something more appropriate.

Others here might have non-Python solutions. What are you looking for?
thank you very much,i have compute the bottom drag in my grid zone,each grid point may have different values.Now i want to use that value to simulate tide. Do you have any suggestions to make it simple?

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Um, are you asking how to tune the bottom drag to make tides more realistic? Do you have tides in the model now?

pingding

#5 Unread post by pingding »

kate wrote:Um, are you asking how to tune the bottom drag to make tides more realistic? Do you have tides in the model now?

first,thank you !
yes,i have extract 8 tidal constituents form TPX08,is M2,S2,N2,K2,K1,O1,P1,O1.

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

And you are now running with tides and you're not happy with the amplitudes, is that it?

pingding

#7 Unread post by pingding »

kate wrote:And you are now running with tides and you're not happy with the amplitudes, is that it?

,yes ,you are right

kate

#8 Unread post by kate »

I have stooped to "shooting" in which you try something, tides are too big, increase bottom drag, repeat as needed. It's not the optimal solution you are searching for.

pingding

#9 Unread post by pingding »

kate wrote:I have stooped to "shooting" in which you try something, tides are too big, increase bottom drag, repeat as needed. It's not the optimal solution you are searching for.
Thank you!
My area is east china sea,because of different depth of water and need different bottom drag cofficient to simulate tide.
I have try many times find that cofficient depend on depth .Now i have compute a bottom drag cofficient and write in my grid file,i want to kown how define and read it successfully.

Also,do you have any other suggestion to deal with it?