Input tidal forcing in a large grid

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

fenaninha

Input tidal forcing in a large grid

#1 Unread post by fenaninha »

Hi, everyone. I'm new working with roms and I need to make a model only with tidal force.
My grid is large and the tide is forced through all the boundaries. I'm using the matlab rotine of roms AGRIF to create the netcdf file that I use as my input file, but I don't know if it the best way.
In my .h I define SSH_TIDES and UV_TIDES. For now, it's working, althought I'm not sure if it's right.
Is there anything else I need to do in the model to force the tide?
Would it have any way way of input analytical tidal forcing?

Thanks!

kate

Re: Input tidal forcing in a large grid

#2 Unread post by kate »

If it's running and looking like there are tides, I think you are set.

There's more than one way to apply tides to the myroms.org svn ROMS. Is that what you're running? Is your Matlab code creating a boundary condition file or a tidal forcing file? Either should work for boundary forcing of tides. Is your domain so very big that you expect to need the tidal potential forcing?

You have an idealized problem and you want analytic tides? There isn't (yet) an ana_tides.h in Functionals, but you could apply the tides through the ana_m2obc.h and ana_fsobc.h.

ocecept

#3 Unread post by ocecept »

Hi;

If you haven't done yet, have a look at https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/Tidal_Forcing. It will help you.

First, what do you call a large grid?

What are you using to force the model? TPOX? Which version?

They have a new version TPOX7.2 that came out few days ago (http://www.coas.oregonstate.edu/researc ... xo7.2.html) it has a lot of improvements, specially around shallow and polar regions.

I'm using the MATLAB routines found in http://marine.rutgers.edu/~hunter/roms/tides/otps/ with TPOX7.2 to force the model and it works fine.

What kind of BC are you using? Have a look at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61&hilit=tides. You will find good information about that.

Cheers;

Carlos Teixeira

fenaninha

#4 Unread post by fenaninha »

Hi, thanks for the helping.

My grid is a meso-scale. I said it was a large grid because I read that to use the analytical open BC it should have less then 10 km and my grid has more. I'm using a grid with 30°x20° and 1/4 of resolution.

I'm running the Rutgers but my matlab routine that creates tidal forcing is from the Agrif.

I finally found out my mistake. I use the Upwelling example as the base of my model and I forgot to undefine the BC of the model :roll: .

My model is finally representing (apparently) the tidal forcing. I decide to use the ana_m2obc.h and ana_fsobc.h and my BC was using chapman and Flather. I'm not sure if it's correct, but for now is working.

Thanks!