What is the output of DIAGNOSTICS_TS/UV?

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

logvinov

What is the output of DIAGNOSTICS_TS/UV?

#1 Unread post by logvinov »

Hi all,

I have a question about the dia.nc file. What kind of terms does it contain?
Are those terms have simply form of the terms in N-S equations or something more complicated?

u_accel
u_hadv
u_vadv
u_cor
u_prsgrd
u_hvisc
u_vvisc

temp_rate
temp_hadv
temp_vadv
temp_hdiff

Could you tell me if it is possible to find more information on this anywhere?

Thanks a lot,
Evgeny

kate

Re: What is the output of DIAGNOSTICS_TS/UV?

#2 Unread post by kate »

logvinov wrote:I have a question about the dia.nc file. What kind of terms does it contain?
Are those terms have simply form of the terms in N-S equations or something more complicated?
They are simply the terms in the equations. I believe John Wilkin said the time rate of change terms (u_accel, temp_rate) should equal the sum of all the other terms.
Could you tell me if it is possible to find more information on this anywhere?
Use the source, Luke.

I would suggest looking at these terms for a simple problem for which you think you know what's going on first. I've looked at them for the UPWELLING case.

crowley

#3 Unread post by crowley »

Way back when I submitted the code to output the diagnostic terms, I included a page or two of documentation. Not very wordy, but it does list the different diagnostic variables, etc.

It can be found by clicking Documentation on the ROMS homepage and choosing Diagnostics.

rsignell

#4 Unread post by rsignell »

crowley wrote: It can be found by clicking Documentation on the ROMS homepage and choosing Diagnostics.
I could not find this link. When I click on "Documentation" on what I guess is "the ROMS homepage" (I'm not sure anymore what the ROMS homepage is), I get transported to WikiROMS Documentation Portal. I don't see any listing for "Diagnostics" on this page. If I search WikiROMS for "Diagnostics", I find only the CPPDEFS (e.g. "DIAGNOSTICS_TS") but no description of the diagnostics of the type Heather referred to.

Could someone provide a URL to the DIAGNOSTICS info, or repost the information?

Thanks,
Rich

robertson
Site Admin

#5 Unread post by robertson »

Since WikiROMS is now our documentation I changed that link to point to WikiROMS. Unfortunately that diagnostics page didn't get added to the wiki. I will add it to the wiki soon, hopefully tomorrow.

robertson
Site Admin

#6 Unread post by robertson »

Diagnostic information can be found by clicking "Model Diagnostics" in the left column of the main WikiROMS page.

LauraB

Tracer rates in diagnostics file

#7 Unread post by LauraB »

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand what's in the *rate diagnostic output. Take for example nitrate rate: it isn't equal to the sum of advection and diffusion. After going through the code I think it should be the total change with time (ie, include also biological sources minus sinks, fluxes due to nudging to climatology, etc), because step3d_t is one of the last calls in main3d.

However, if I try to reconstruct nitrate from its rate (ie, NO3(t)=NO3(0)+ integral_from_0_to_t NO3rate dt ), it fails to reproduce NO3 in the region of strong nudging towards climatology... I don't understand why this happens, because in step3d_t Trate (where T stands for any tracer) is calculated after the nudging step, so it should take into account changes due to nudging, right?

Your comments will be greatly appreciated!
Best,

Laura