defininig the starting date

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

cecilia

defininig the starting date

#1 Unread post by cecilia »

In realistic simulations using Roms 3.0, the starting date (of the simulation) may be not necessarily the same in the input NetCDF forcing and initial files, because the frequency and starting date of each original data base are not necessarily the same.

1) Could someone tell me where the starting date of a simulation should be set ? (in the "ini" file ? or into another file of ROMS 3.0 ? ) If the answer is "in the ini file" then my question is "is there a way to set a starting date different from those of initial and forcing files ?

2) Also, is it possible to set an "ending date" of the simulation ? or do I have to depend on NTIMES ?

bye and have all a great 2008

kate

Re: defininig the starting date

#2 Unread post by kate »

The key is consistency from the ROMS point of view. ROMS will check to make sure that the forcing times surround your current model time. It gets the current model time from the ini file.

The ascii input file is also relevant. You do need to depend on NTIMES, but also check the DSTART and the TIME_REF. For instance, many of our runs have:

Code: Select all

DSTART =  21185.0d0                  ! days                 
    TIME_REF =  19000101.0d0               ! yyyymmdd.dd
I then set my time in the initial file to match 21185 days if I'm planning to actually start at that time. Also, I've been known to adjust the first forcing time to set it to match, even if it was days or weeks later.

cecilia

#3 Unread post by cecilia »

Thanks a lot Kate one more time....It maybe you could advice me which place would be good for training in ROMS....

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Who wants to come to Fairbanks for ROMS training? 8);)

Seriously, we've got a classroom with 12 workstations we could use except in August. If a handful of people wanted to come up for some mutually agreed upon week, we could make it happen.

cecilia

#5 Unread post by cecilia »

Kate,

It would be very nice to go there specially if the training were oriented to ocean-atmosphere coupling because I am working with a meteorologist staff. In that case, I suppose one week would be a short time, I would prefer a more intensive training of two or more weeks and/or a visit for work there for some months.....

Bye