how to implement a real case ?

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

cecilia

how to implement a real case ?

#1 Unread post by cecilia »

What are the steps (it may be a sequence) to implement a real case in ROMS 2.2 considering open and closed boundaries and atmospheric forcing ? Here I mean what are the files I must modify

Also, where are the input NetCDF files read them into the ROMS code ?

Is there a real test case as example ?

Bye and thanks

arango
Site Admin

#2 Unread post by arango »

I noticed that you are asking a lot of basic questions for which we already have a lot of information. Please check wikiROMS for the information that you are seeking. ROMS is a very complex model and takes some time for beginners to comprehend its capabilities. I recommend you that spend some time learning the idealized test problems before setting your real application. There several basic steps that you need to master before modeling your application.

cecilia

#3 Unread post by cecilia »

Hernan,

I was consulting information from different sources of information (Scrum Manual, Wikiroms, some ROMS files as makefile, ocean.in, mod_params, cppdefs.h and others) during the last three weeks , and I felt myself very lost and confused several times as a begginner in ROMS.

But, asking for help to experienced users it is helping me to check the knowledges I am getting from the mentioned sources and resolve my doubts.

Cecilia

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

If you download ROMS 3.0, there is a Data/ROMS directory with some examples. They are for examples I'm not familiar with - perhaps the authors of these examples can be leaned on to provide some words for the wiki.

Like for the plotting, there's more than one way to do it. But the steps are the same:

* get a grid
* find a bathymetry for it
* find some initial conditions
* pick a set of forcings - tides, rivers, winds or wind stress, what have you
* open boundary conditions from somewhere

Note that extra stuff like sediment, ice, ecosystems might have their own needs for initial, boundary conditions, etc.

Some things have been found to work better than others - monthly Levitus boundary conditions were somewhat problematic for me. Rather than such broad questions, you might do better asking specific questions like: "does someone have scatterometer winds and the software you use to put it onto a ROMS grid?".

cecilia

#5 Unread post by cecilia »

Thanks a lot for your reply Kate.

Really I was looking a README file or ROMS 2.2 notes where I could find what (where) are the files I have to modify or write to implement a real case.

I was exploring the directories and files (as a begginner) of roms 2.2 spending time up to find that the grid parameters were defined in: mod_param.F (directory modules), because at first I was looking in the external and the include directories and files.

Then, I suppose I am going well, but I would like to check with some experienced user.....that was the reason I post the message.

Then the sequence could be:

1. choose a name for your real case ([your case]), write it ccpdefs.h (directory: include) and write what flags will consider your real case (cppdefs.h) following the examples.

2. write in mod_param.F the grid parameters for that real case

3. change the necessary parameters of the simulation in ocean_[your case].in (directory External)

Bye....That´s all.

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

If you are just starting up now, is there a reason to be using old ROMS?

You might find this interesting:
http://people.arsc.edu/~kate/ROMS/Slides/roms_java.ppt
plus perhaps some of the other files in that directory.

cecilia

#7 Unread post by cecilia »

Ups !!!

Kate

Really I downloaded the newer version (2.2) I found in the ROMS page (https://www.myroms.org/index.php?page=Codes), before to enter to the forum.

Thanks for the information. Now I found in the forum where I can dowload the version 3.0.

Bye

shilo

#8 Unread post by shilo »

Hi Cecilia,

There is a matlab based package called Roms tools. It developed by several Roms users.

You can download it from: http://www.brest.ird.fr/Roms_tools/

It include all the material you need to build a grid, forcing files etc. all explained in the provided user manual.

Good luck,

Elad