horizontal distribution of river discharge

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

nageswararao

horizontal distribution of river discharge

#1 Unread post by nageswararao »

Hi all,
I am trying to simulate Indian Ocean region using ROMS-2.2. I would like to know how can I distribute the river discharge over some grid points. I am using matlab code to force my model with rivers. Presently I am including 11 rivers in my model. Since the discharge is not spreading, the fresh water is constrained to one point in my salinity pattern. How can I spread it?
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
G.NageswaraRao.

schamarthi1

spreading the river flow

#2 Unread post by schamarthi1 »

u can put some velocity activating the uv-psource. :lol:

nageswararao

#3 Unread post by nageswararao »

I had already switched on that option. River discharge was not distributing over the domain so that I am not getting climatological pattern of salinity good. Near river source the salinity is low and it is not distributing over the domain to some points. I am using salinity surfaces for horizontal mixing and Third-order upstream bias advection scheme for momentum and tracers. How can I distribute the river discharge over some points in the domain ?
All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jcwarner

#4 Unread post by jcwarner »

the uv_psource can provide "river discharge over some points in the domain." This method can be used to provide river discahrge at many points in the domain, not just 1.

schamarthi1

river spread

#5 Unread post by schamarthi1 »

is it the strong mixing is the cause?!! :?

schamarthi1

#6 Unread post by schamarthi1 »

The problem basically is when I am putting a river as a point source defined with ANA_Psource, TS_Psource and UV_psource. while integrating salinity field is not spreading out but stays where it is. I tried switching on ana_smflux and also prescribed wind-stress assimilation the salinity does not spread out as is seen in nature.
I am using the east china sea as my domain and the mixing is LMD_mixing process.

can anybody forward some suggestion!!! thanks in advance.
:roll: