ROMS on Linux Fedora Core 4

Facts, news, and guidance about ROMS software

Moderators: arango, robertson

alfian

ROMS on Linux Fedora Core 4

#1 Unread post by alfian »

Hi everyone,

I am quite new to the uses of ROMS and NETCDF. I have tried many times to run ROMS on Linux Fedora Core 4 without success.

Has any one run ROMS on Linux Fedora Core 4?

Thanks.
Last edited by alfian on Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

kate

#2 Unread post by kate »

I've been promised Fedora Core 4 but don't have it yet. What sort of trouble are you seeing? If we could see the error messages, we might be able to help anyway.

h_perales

ROMS on fedora 4

#3 Unread post by h_perales »

Hello.

I use ROMS in a laptop with linux fedroa 4. I had to install the g95 fortran compiler because the gfortran compiler that comes with the distribution does not work. You can get the g95 from www.g95.org.

Hector.

abarth

#4 Unread post by abarth »

Hi,

I'm running ROMS on Fedora Core 3 (x86_32) with the Portland Compiler and on Fedora Core 4 (i386) with the Intel Fortran compiler (http://www.intel.com/cd/software/produc ... /index.htm). The gfortran compiler which comes with FC4 is not quite ready yet. The Intel Fortran compiler (ifort) for Linux is free for non-commercial use. If you use ifort you might need to recompile the netCDF library. For this I used:

export FC=ifort
export F90=ifort
export CPPFLAGS="-DNDEBUG -DpgiFortran"
./configure --prefix $HOME/local/netcdf-ifort

But what kind of error messages do you see ?

Cheers,
Alex

shchepet

What exactly is the problem?

#5 Unread post by shchepet »

We routinely run this code on FC4 as well as on other flavors of Linux.

Furthermore, from user's point of view in makes no difference, whether it it FC4 or Redhat 9, or Enterprise Linux or Mandrale 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 10.0. 10.1, 10.2/200LE or 2006.

All you have to have is:

Intel Fortran compiler compatible with your glibc's

and

a C compiler to compile netCDF library (This may be either a matching version of Intel's C compiler, or gcc which comes with Linux. Yes, folks, those who believe that they MUST compile netCDF library using Intel's C compiler, if he intends to compile ROMS using Intel's Fotran ARE WRONG. The only reason for incompatibility is the default gcc behaviou of appending double underscore at the end of fotrran objects, if there is already an underscore in the name.

All you have to do is to include flag

-fno-second-underscore

into you gcc compiler line.

And, should you decide to compile netCDF with icc, make sure that you include -mp flag to preserve IEEE -accuracy of arithmetic. I usually set -O3 -mp flags instead of netCDF defaults. If you do not say -mp, then netCDF will fail self-test in 4 places.

I use Intel's compiler 8.1. If you decide to use 9.0, read earlier posts on this board. You have to set proper LM_LIBRARY_PATH to avoid it complaining about incompatible libraries.