coupled ice options

Discussion about modeling ice with ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

kate

coupled ice options

#1 Unread post by kate »

I thought it might be a good idea to list current and future ice options for use with the ROMS model to try to limit the duplication of effort. Please add anything you know of too!

1. We have Paul Budgell's ice (EVP on an Arakawa C-grid, Mellor-Kantha thermodynamics). It is working with the bulk flux option, available to the daring. It is using a tight coupling, same grid and timestep for both models.

2. This summer we hope to get help from the CCSM team to put ROMS into that coupled model framework, so that ROMS would be an option along with POP, the ice, land, and atmospheric components. It would be a loose coupling, making different grids possible.

3. Jia Wang's group at IARC is exploring a loosely coupled ROMS-CICE model for their Arctic research. They are still at the stage of investigating the couplers.

4. I heard that Cecilia Bitz is helping someone with ROMS-ice and have written to ask for more information.

Btw, Hibler's latest thing is having ice that is embedded in the ocean rather than floating up in the atmosphere. I should probably go find out more about that.
Last edited by kate on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhyatt@whoi.edu

#2 Unread post by jhyatt@whoi.edu »

The 'Hibler's latest thing' is inertial embedding “inertial embedding” (McPhee, 1978) into the dynamics of the oceanic boundary layer, and the results are in (Heil and Hibler, 2002).

I think (not sure) the CICE/ROMS effort is by Sinan Husrevoglu at ODU.

Thanks for compiling the others.

klinck

CICE sea ice model

#3 Unread post by klinck »

Sinan Husrevoglu (sinan@ccpo.odu.edu) has coupled CICE to roms. He is running cases for our Ross Sea domain. We hope to also use this model for the peninsula domainl. He should be finished with his dissertation work sometime this year.

At the moment, the model is running. Sinan had a poster at the recent Ocean Sciences meeting. We are trying to make sure the model works realistically.

Once we are sure that this is working ok, we plan to send the changes to Hernan so it can be part of the distribution.

John

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Actually, the other one I just heard about is Luanne Thompson's student Rebecca Zanzig. Thanks for the other info. :)

sinan

#5 Unread post by sinan »

It is ROMS(2.1)-CICE(3.1) coupled via WRF I/O API MCT Coupling Implementation. Any grid and coupling timestep combination is possible. Fluxes and freezing/melting potential need work.

sinan

muenchow

Re: coupled ice options

#6 Unread post by muenchow »

Bump.

Has anyone tried to couple CICE 4.0 to ROMS? Or is someone perhaps contemplating doing so?

I saw a poster today by a student (Kyle Armour) working with Luanne Thompson and Cecilia Bitz at UW that uses ROMS, however, the ice model and coupler is not one that has been discussed here. The application described in the poster is the Sea of Okhotsk.

springer

#7 Unread post by springer »

Bump again. Does anyone know of successful efforts to couple CICE and ROMS? Some of those mentioned in this post seem to have faded away.

kate

#8 Unread post by kate »

It's one of my unfunded back burner projects. I could probably whip it out in a week based on Cecilia's fake coupler if I needed to.

LiZhou

#9 Unread post by LiZhou »

Hi,
What troubled me for a long time was that how to turn on or buildup a coupling to ice model(CICE etc) in a ROMS run. I have successfully achieved a quarter-resolution simulation of Southern Ocean(30S-75S) without coupling to a ice model, whcih may cause much deviation to real ocean state. My ROMS trunk version is 751. Thanks for any following responses very much! :wink: :wink: :wink:

kate

#10 Unread post by kate »

Hernan is working on the coupling to CICE and other models via NUOPC caps. You'd have to ask him where that stands.

The Norwegians are running a ROMS-CICE coupled system (via MCT) which they have put out on github, called metroms.