zice in grid file for ICESHELF

Discussion about modeling ice with ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

papaya

zice in grid file for ICESHELF

#1 Unread post by papaya »

I am trying to use ICESHELF for the model.

But it asks for the zice in grid file. Could someone tell what sizes should zice be? And which file requires specifying zice?

Thanks very much!

Fan

kate

Re: zice in grid file for ICESHELF

#2 Unread post by kate »

zice is on the rho grid. It is the thickness of ice above the ocean at each gridpoint. Since ice shelves can be hundreds of meters thick, the pressure from that ice is important to take into consideration.

As for which files want to know about it, a simple grep command from the top of the ROMS tree should smoke that out:

Code: Select all

grep -i zice */*/*
get_grid.F has the code for reading the grid file.

papaya

#3 Unread post by papaya »

Thanks Kate!

BTW, do you have any suggestions on where to obtain the iceshelf thickness data?

I learned that some use this dataset:
http://nsidc.org/api/metadata?id=gla12

Fan
kate wrote:zice is on the rho grid. It is the thickness of ice above the ocean at each gridpoint. Since ice shelves can be hundreds of meters thick, the pressure from that ice is important to take into consideration.

As for which files want to know about it, a simple grep command from the top of the ROMS tree should smoke that out:

Code: Select all

grep -i zice */*/*
get_grid.F has the code for reading the grid file.

crode1968

#4 Unread post by crode1968 »

As a consistent data set for bedrock and ice shelf topography as well grounding line positions you might consider the following data set

Timmermann, R, et al. (2010), "A consistent dataset of Antarctic ice sheet topography, cavity geometry, and global bathymetry", Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 2, 261-273, 2010. doi:10.5194/essd-2-261-2010 , hdl:10013/epic.36409

To go to the data repository directly follow
http://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.741917

Good luck

papaya

#5 Unread post by papaya »

Thanks very much!

Fan
crode1968 wrote:As a consistent data set for bedrock and ice shelf topography as well grounding line positions you might consider the following data set

Timmermann, R, et al. (2010), "A consistent dataset of Antarctic ice sheet topography, cavity geometry, and global bathymetry", Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 2, 261-273, 2010. doi:10.5194/essd-2-261-2010 , hdl:10013/epic.36409

To go to the data repository directly follow
http://doi.pangaea.de/10.1594/PANGAEA.741917

Good luck