several dyes in the same simulation

Cool Findings and Plots

Moderators: arango, robertson

martafpb

several dyes in the same simulation

#1 Unread post by martafpb »

Hi everyone,

I'm launching a simulation of several months to calculate residence times of the water of a coastal bay and for this I use the T_PASSIVE. I put as initial condition dye_01 = 1 and calculate the time it takes to reduce to a factor of 1 / e.

What I would like to know if it is possible to release several dyes at different times? That is, I want to release a passive tracer every 'X' hours in the same simulation (after 5h of having started the simulation, after 12h, after a day ...) and check in this way if the meteorological conditions affect my tracer.

Does anyone know if it can be done with ROMS?

Thank you very much.

kate

Re: several dyes in the same simulation

#2 Unread post by kate »

Yes, it's possible to do all that. How much coding do you want to do? How many tracers do you want to follow? For each tracer, you can have independent sources. You'll have to add code to do what you are asking, but it shouldn't be incredibly hard. Note that each dye you add will increase the memory and computational cost of the run, so adding a new tracer each day might be a bit much. Gordon Zhang instead added some "age tracers" where a companion tracer can be used to track the age of one tracer. For instance, paint the one tracer at a source, then see how "old" that dye gets as it moves away from the source.