seagrid2roms ---ncmex (line 110) Undefined "fcn"

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

msun

seagrid2roms ---ncmex (line 110) Undefined "fcn"

#1 Unread post by msun »

Hi guys! I am a newbie to ROMS. I now create grid in Matlab 2014a installed on windows to process nc data stuff. However, I got an error when I run "seagrid2roms('seagrid.mat', grdfile);" Got the error: ncmex (line 110) Undefined "fcn".

Is this caused by high matlab version? or I need to install something. Anyone can help would be appreciated. Thanks.

johnluick

Re: seagrid2roms ---ncmex (line 110) Undefined "fcn"

#2 Unread post by johnluick »

What I will say is that if you use GridBuilder (http://austides.com/downloads/) instead of seagrid it will be like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari. An old bicycle with innumerable broken parts, to a new Ferrari.

crode1968

#3 Unread post by crode1968 »

Hej John,

I very impressed by what I see in the description (pdf-file) of your grid program. Unfortunately we a not allowed and able to install any program on our windows machines. Therefore I would like to ask, if you program could modified so that it runs on Windows without installation. Since I'm using predominately Linux, I would like to ask kindly if it even would be possible to compile it for Linux?

Hope to have my own copy of the Ferrari ;-) grid program soon.

johnluick

#4 Unread post by johnluick »

I will point out your question to the author (Charles James). I'm pretty sure we can find a solution. Actually we have the same rule here, but we are allowed to install some freeware (like GridBuilder) if we get permission. Also, many of us bring in our own Windows machines for this sort of thing. They are not allowed on the LAN, but if you have something like OneDrive going, you can drag your file over from the DSL to the local network, which is not too bad.

msun

#5 Unread post by msun »

johnluick wrote:What I will say is that if you use GridBuilder (http://austides.com/downloads/) instead of seagrid it will be like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari. An old bicycle with innumerable broken parts, to a new Ferrari.

Well, thank u very much for your information. I may have a try. However, does anyone could solve my current problem?~~how to modily my bug please?~

CharlesJames
Location: South Australian Research and Development Institute

#6 Unread post by CharlesJames »

msun wrote:
johnluick wrote:What I will say is that if you use GridBuilder (http://austides.com/downloads/) instead of seagrid it will be like going from a bicycle to a Ferrari. An old bicycle with innumerable broken parts, to a new Ferrari.

Well, thank u very much for your information. I may have a try. However, does anyone could solve my current problem?~~how to modily my bug please?~
In order to run seagrid2roms in 2014a using a seagrid.mat file I had to add the following paths

ROMS Utilities/netcdf
ROMS Utilities/grid
ROMS Utilities/utility

since 2014a supports the native netCDF interface I wouldn't have thought you'd need an ncmex routine, maybe you have a conflicting netcdf toolbox on your path?

CharlesJames

#7 Unread post by CharlesJames »

crode1968 wrote:Hej John,

I very impressed by what I see in the description (pdf-file) of your grid program. Unfortunately we a not allowed and able to install any program on our windows machines. Therefore I would like to ask, if you program could modified so that it runs on Windows without installation. Since I'm using predominately Linux, I would like to ask kindly if it even would be possible to compile it for Linux?

Hope to have my own copy of the Ferrari ;-) grid program soon.
The Matlab compiler is very expensive and is system specific. Unfortunately we don't have the Linux or Mac compiler just the Windows one. If I ever get permission to share the source code I'd love to work with someone to compile it for other platforms but that doesn't appear too likely in the near term.

Perhaps you can negotiate with your IT group to install it. After all the MCR program is a Mathworks product and installing it does not violate any copyright or license agreements as it is freely distributed by Mathworks.

crode1968

#8 Unread post by crode1968 »

Dear CharlesJames,

I value very much your effort exploring possibilities. I also understand that do not buy an expensive compiler that you do not need. Thanks for that effort.

Beside that, I've had the change to try the program on another computer. It works very well and offers a smooth way to build grids. In our group we work predominately in the Arctic region, where the current world view in GridBuilder leads to some problems in constructing grids. Therefore I would like to ask very kindly, if the program could be modified so that it offers also a polar stereographic view of the world, for instance. If it would be possible, you may allow to set the pol coordinates in addition to the boundary towards the equator.

CharlesJames

#9 Unread post by CharlesJames »

crode1968 wrote:Dear CharlesJames,

I value very much your effort exploring possibilities. I also understand that do not buy an expensive compiler that you do not need. Thanks for that effort.

Beside that, I've had the change to try the program on another computer. It works very well and offers a smooth way to build grids. In our group we work predominately in the Arctic region, where the current world view in GridBuilder leads to some problems in constructing grids. Therefore I would like to ask very kindly, if the program could be modified so that it offers also a polar stereographic view of the world, for instance. If it would be possible, you may allow to set the pol coordinates in addition to the boundary towards the equator.
That is an interesting point - in principle the interface should allow me to add other projections but it will take a fair bit of time to work out how to implement all the current features consistently. I will definitely put that down on the to-do list as a potential future project, Thanks for the suggestion.

Chang

#10 Unread post by Chang »

Dear msun
I am a new user of ROMS,and now I am facing the same problem of you.I believe that you must have solved this problem.Can you help me? thank you so much!

Chang
21,feb,2017