oceanic and atmospheric forcings

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

fagundesmo

oceanic and atmospheric forcings

#1 Unread post by fagundesmo »

Hi all,

I am starting doing my inputs to my experiment I have a question that I would like the opinion of the ROMS users.

Would be a good idea if I created my oceanic and atmospheric forcing from the same reanalysis? For instance, NCEP-CFSR. On the other hand, if I am using one reanalysis to my oceanic forcing (i.e: SODA) and another to my atmospheric forcing (i.e: NCEP-CFSR) would not be better if I chose to use as my atmospheric forcing, for instance, the same model as the one that forced SODA?

My other question is: if I had a grid of 1/36 degree resolution, for example. Would have any rule, in ocean modelling or even in the ROMS model, saying that I had to have my oceanic and atmospheric forcing in a proportion like they have for atmospheric models: 3 grid resolution:1 BRY and INI resol. (or sth similar).

Sorry if these questions sound too dummy but since I am beginning my career in ocean modelling I would like to have these ideas.

Best Regards,

Matheus

kate

Re: oceanic and atmospheric forcings

#2 Unread post by kate »

fagundesmo wrote:Would be a good idea if I created my oceanic and atmospheric forcing from the same reanalysis? For instance, NCEP-CFSR. On the other hand, if I am using one reanalysis to my oceanic forcing (i.e: SODA) and another to my atmospheric forcing (i.e: NCEP-CFSR) would not be better if I chose to use as my atmospheric forcing, for instance, the same model as the one that forced SODA?
Maybe so, but we haven't worried about it all that much. Maybe others do? We used to like CORE2 forcing, but they stopped updating it.
My other question is: if I had a grid of 1/36 degree resolution, for example. Would have any rule, in ocean modelling or even in the ROMS model, saying that I had to have my oceanic and atmospheric forcing in a proportion like they have for atmospheric models: 3 grid resolution:1 BRY and INI resol. (or sth similar).
Good luck finding boundary conditions only a factor of three from your grid, unless you want to run a whole suite of nested grids. I have routinely run with a factor of ten or more from say SODA boundary conditions. I can't say they always behave all that well, but they behave better than using a monthly climatology of just T/S because you get dynamically consistent fields including the velocities. Daily HYCOM fields are a reasonable option for recent years.

I would say, find something for your target years. If a products stopped in 2007, it's not going to help you if your funding demands the field years of 2012-2015. With the 2012 fields in hand, give it a try, see what happens.

fagundesmo

Re: oceanic and atmospheric forcings

#3 Unread post by fagundesmo »

Hi Kate,

thank you for your explanation it helped me a lot.

Best Regards,

Matheus