problem in seagrid2roms (built in win32 system)

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

wuting0926

problem in seagrid2roms (built in win32 system)

#1 Unread post by wuting0926 »

Hello,everyone.I'm a new user using the seagrid to generate grids for ROMS, I have some problems in seagrid2roms, and I beg for anyone who is experienced for help.
I installed the seagrid with matlab 7.1 in win32 system, and I download the mexcdf,snctools,netcdf_toolbox through svn (e.g.):
svn co http://mexcdf.svn.sourceforge.net/svnro ... xnc/trunck which is provided in the ROMS forum.Following the guidance of ROMS forum, I set the path of netcdf_toolbox\netcdf, netcdf_toolbox\netcdf\ncutility, netcdf_toolbox\netcdf\nctype,snctools, mexnc, seagrid, seagrid\mex_matlab71_win32, seagrid\presto into matlab path, and I also added the netcdf.dll into windows system path.But I still can't change my .mat file into .nc file (using seagrid2roms) successfully. I was wondering if it's related to the mexnc version , and I tried other mexnc versions (mexcdf.r3441,mexcdf.R14sp3.r2713), It still can't work. When I tried to read the nc file , it can't be read. So I think the problem may be related to the netcdf . But I don't know how to solve it, can someone give me some suggestions? Problem is shown in the attachment.
Attachments
problem.pdf
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 288 times

johnluick

Re: problem in seagrid2roms (built in win32 system)

#2 Unread post by johnluick »

My colleague, Charles James, has just completed writing a version of Seagrid in Matlab 2014b. I have no doubt that his version will suffer none of the issues (bugs, infuriating complexity, etc.) that plague Seagrid. I have seen it, and it looks great. I think the GSHHG coastlines and etopo 1 or 2 or both are built in. I'll point out your post to him tomorrow and hopefully he will make it available, if you like. I don't know of any reason it would not work on a 32 bit Windows machine but I could be wrong.

johnluick

#3 Unread post by johnluick »

I should have mentioned that with Charles' Seagrid, I'm pretty sure you won't need seagrid2roms.

wuting0926

#4 Unread post by wuting0926 »

johnluick wrote:My colleague, Charles James, has just completed writing a version of Seagrid in Matlab 2014b. I have no doubt that his version will suffer none of the issues (bugs, infuriating complexity, etc.) that plague Seagrid. I have seen it, and it looks great. I think the GSHHG coastlines and etopo 1 or 2 or both are built in. I'll point out your post to him tomorrow and hopefully he will make it available, if you like. I don't know of any reason it would not work on a 32 bit Windows machine but I could be wrong.
I'm so grateful to receive your reply. It's really an exciting news that Seagrid can successfully run in Matlab R2014b. I built an old matlab version in an old system just to run the seagrid but it still can't work in the seagrid2roms step. So, I really need you (or your colleague) for help. I stuck in the problem for several days.

Kosa

#5 Unread post by Kosa »

John, I too would greatly benefit for your colleague's seagrid advancements. I am attempting to get seagrid working with r2014b but the new graphics system is causing many compatibility issues.

Thank you

CharlesJames
Location: South Australian Research and Development Institute

GridBuilder - a new Seagrid style grid editor.

#6 Unread post by CharlesJames »

Since Matlab 2014b the creation of a new class for graphic handles (handles are no longer floating point numbers) has created an incompatibility with the very popular Seagrid program.

To address this problem within our group I have created an updated version of Seagrid which we call GridBuilder and I have received permission to make it publicly available as an Win64 executable on John Luick's Austides site:

http://austides.com/downloads/

The look and feel of the program should be very familiar to Seagrid users and we've added a few additional features that will hopefully be useful to ROMS users. This version has not been extensively beta-tested outside our group so I anticipate that there will need to be bug-fixes but hopefully bugs will be brought to our attention and we can fix them in a timely fashion.

Since GridBuilder is a Matlab stand-alone executable, users won't need Matlab to run it, but, unless they are already installed, they will need to install the free Matlab Compiler Runtime libraries. The installer should guide you through this process relatively painlessly.

Unfortunately, for now, we only have the Windows 64bit compiler so that is the only operating system that the GridBuilder executable will run under.

If you use GridBuilder and have any questions, bug reports, or suggestions for improvement you can contact me or John directly at
charles.james@sa.gov.au or john.luick@austides.com.

CharlesJames
Location: South Australian Research and Development Institute

#7 Unread post by CharlesJames »

I've recently completed work on the GridBuilder program and added a number of new features based on user feedback. We have also put up a users guide that includes a short tutorial to show how GridBuilder can be used. This is informally v0.99 but will probably become v1.0 after any remaining bugs are ironed out.

The latest version is available at
http://austides.com/downloads/

The installer may take a long time to prepare for installation, so please be patient; it will eventually check to see if you have the free Matlab Runtime Environment installed and will install it for you if required before installing the GridBuilder executable.

Note that you do not have to have Matlab to run this program but it will only run on Win64 systems.

New Features:
  • Grid Edit: New Expand mode, select a border from an existing grid and expand or contract grid by a fixed number of cells without altering unchanged grid cells. Useful for "fixing" a grid that doesn't quite reach an important point or removing isolated dry cells from boundaries.
  • Grid Metrics: Maximum orthogonality % error, rx0 (Beckmann and Haidvogel) and rx1 (Haney) values always displayed.
  • ROMS S-coordinate: Explore effects of different ROMS s-coordinates on grid metrics, also includes visualizer to investigate vertical resolutions.
  • Depth Edit: Use filters, including depth restricted-Shapiro, Negative Adjustment and Positive Adjustment, to achieve desired rx0 and rx1 values.
  • Mask Generation: Now based on either Topography (faster), GSHHG coasts (more accurate), or user supplied coastline.
  • Mask Edit: Automatic selection and optional filling of isolated cells, bays and narrow channels.
  • Reference Points: Import marker locations from existing grids or data files. Useful for helping construct a new grid that includes specific points.
  • Nested grids: Quickly create a new grid from cells of existing grid.
  • Import Bathymetry: Automatically merges user imported topography with built in topography to generate seamless depths across regions.
  • Grid Checking: Automatic tests to help avoid creating an invalid grid
Please check the guide for a full list of features.