Offline implementation of ROMS advection-diffusion schemes

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

stlaur

Offline implementation of ROMS advection-diffusion schemes

#1 Unread post by stlaur »

Hi,

I have high-resolution outputs from ROMS and I would like to advect+diffuse an arbitrary 3-D scalar field using an `offline' implementation of ROMS advection-diffusion schemes.
In other words, I'm looking for a Fortran/C/whatever program that takes as input the netcdf files, interpolates them in time, and advects-diffuses a given field phi(x,y,z,t=0) over a certain period of time (say, one month to a few months).

The model was sampled at sufficiently high temporal resolution that the important processes are properly sampled (i.e. assume there is no aliasing of tides, etc). This is purely for diagnostic purposes and accuracy is not critical.

Did someone write such a tool and would be willing to share it?
Thanks,
Pierre

kate

Re: Offline implementation of ROMS advection-diffusion schem

#2 Unread post by kate »

It's a bit of a kludge and would be annoying for more than a handful of the ROMS outputs, but the OFFLINE_BIOLOGY option in my branch is meant to behave somewhat like this. It reads fields in as the climatology fields, then copies them to the ROMS u,v,T,S instead of timestepping u,v,T,S. These are then used for the biology tracers in the advection-diffusion. You wouldn't need the T,S, though, if yours are passive tracers.

Note that this hasn't been tested in a long time - I was thinking of removing that code since no one was using it.

stlaur

Re: Offline implementation of ROMS advection-diffusion schem

#3 Unread post by stlaur »

Yes, that would work for my purpose. I see the option in my own version of the code (v.~3.3) and I will give it a try. Thanks for the reply.
Pierre