nested grid layer and min depth

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

pooran

nested grid layer and min depth

#1 Unread post by pooran »

Dear
with regard to matlab routines which create child grid for nesting (such as create_nested_grid.m) it is possible to define new masking and bathymetry. Would you please tell me when creating child grid it is possible to:
1-change number of layers in child grid compared to parent grid?
2-change minimum depth of child grid compared to parent grid?
Cheers
pooran

pooran

Re: nested grid layer and min depth

#2 Unread post by pooran »

Dear
in my test, nesting will occur between near-shore and offshore. and i have Multiple Refinement Sub-Class grids. would you please tell me that
1-is it possible to define another minimum depth (hmin) for first Refinement Grid from parent grid? If yes, how?
2-is it possible to define another minimum depth (hmin) for second Refinement Grid from first refined grid? And so on...
Cheers
pooran
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.44 KiB) Viewed 5389 times

pooran

#3 Unread post by pooran »

Sorry :oops: i would like to change my question
1-does it important that child's masking and bathymetry to be consistent with parent's masking and bathymetry, respectively, just at the boundaries points:? it means: is it possible to change masking and bathymetry of new refined grid in overlapping region :?:

2-If User will allowed to modify the masking and bathymetry of new grid in overlapping region, Would you please guide me how can? Manually or there is some other way :?:
many thanks for any reply that can help me to do refinement
cheers
pooran

pooran

#4 Unread post by pooran »

sorry I cant completely catch nestlayers and gridsinlayer. Would you please help me with second post's figure as an example: should it be set as:
Ngrids= 4
nestlayers=4
gridsinlayer=1 2 3 4
2-if there is two child grids and one parent (in mentioned figure) then is it true to set:
Ngrids= 3
nestlayers=3
grids in layer=1 2 3

pooran

#5 Unread post by pooran »

Sorry but I become grateful to know that for figure in second post is it true to set Ngrids, nestlayers and gridinlayer flags (in ocean.in file) like bellow?
Ngrids= 4
nestlayers=4
gridsinlayer=1 2 3 4
Sorry but I can’t find any test to find my answer therefore I need your experience for my set up(if it is possible)
Thanks for any reply

kate

#6 Unread post by kate »

It has been mentioned that it currently only supports one parent with one child grid. No grandchildren as yet.

pooran

#7 Unread post by pooran »

It has been mentioned that it currently only supports one parent with one child grid. No grandchildren as yet.
is it true for COAWST updated code, too?

arango
Site Admin

#8 Unread post by arango »

It has been mentioned several times in this forum that more than two nesting layers for refinement grids still need some debugging for NestLayers > 2. Your configuration with four grids is very poor and ill-posed in my opinion. Obviously, you need to gain more experience with nested grids and ocean modeling. A configuration like the one in your diagram will be subject to a lot of new physics due the ratio of refinement between the coarser and the finer grids. If you require such a high resolution in such a small coastal area, you started with the wrong resolution for the coarser grid :!: The two-way interaction between four grids will yield a lot of high-frequency contamination between grids.

I will recommend for you to start simpler. Use two grids and gain more experience with ROMS and numerical modeling.