hdf5

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

fereshteh

hdf5

#1 Unread post by fereshteh »

Hi dear
i am providing some needs that it is necessary for running ROMS. I am reding wikiroms site and understand that i need hdf5 as well as netcdf. but when i installed netcdf4.0 i didn't see hdf5. My first request is that, how i can add it to my netcdf and I become so appreciate to receive link for downloading it.
Also with regard that this link(https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/makefile), we must determine location for the NetCDF files and hdf5 libraries.I didn't completely catch who and where i should do it? Do you mean that .bashrc file which is located in home directory (for linux system) must be edited by adding these phrase:
export NETCDF_INCDIR=/usr/local/netcdf4/include
export NETCDF_LIBDIR=/usr/local/netcdf4/lib
export HDF5_LIBDIR=/usr/local/hdf5/lib

In advance, thanks for your attention
fereshte

kate

Re: hdf5

#2 Unread post by kate »

When compiling NetCDF 4, you have choices. One is to allow the new file format with its richer set of options. That requires the HDF5 library. A simple search on hdf5 brings you to http://www.hdfgroup.org/HDF5/. One reason to build a newer NetCDF 4 is because they are getting better at using the underlying HDF5 structure.

For the rest, using nc-config will take care of bringing in the full list of libraries, including HDF5. In general, you can set something like NC_CONFIG in three different places:

1. Your shell's login files
2. The ROMS build script
3. Some part of the ROMS Makefile (which includes your Linux-ifort.mk file)

If it is set in the environment (either via build script or .profile), the value in the Makefile will be overwritten.