Cross Shelf Model

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

LRasmuson

Cross Shelf Model

#1 Unread post by LRasmuson »

Hi All,

I am working on developing an idealized cross shelf model of upwelling. I have read articles where other researchers have been able to develop similar models but I am unsure how people are dealing with generating a grid and inputting the dimensions into a *.in file. Are people generating grids with >1 cell in both the I and J directions and then focusing their development and analysis of a specific slice in the J direction or if I enter a J direction as 1 will the model be able to compile and run in parallel? If I missed a previous post about this topic I apologize but I was unable to find anything in my searching.

Thanks,
Leif

kate

Re: Cross Shelf Model

#2 Unread post by kate »

The default setup for ROMS is just that - a periodic channel with an idealized upwelling problem. It goes by the application name UPWELLING. It is periodic in the i direction and Lm has to be at least 3, I believe. There are walls north and south. The grid is all set up internal to ROMS, as described in the ROMS manual.

LRasmuson

#3 Unread post by LRasmuson »

Thank you very much for the help this is exactly what I needed. I have been looking at the upwelling test case but wasn't sure how to model just cross-shelf since the test case dimensions are Lm=41 and Mm=80.

Leif

m.hadfield

#4 Unread post by m.hadfield »

Reduce Lm in the input file to a smaller number. As Kate said, the minimum is probably 3; whatever, 1 is not permitted. Whatever value of Lm you choose, the UPWELLING simulation is homogeneous in the xi direction, so you can do your analyses on any slice