ROMS Pre- and Post-Processing Packages on MAC?

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

KamilaWisniewska

ROMS Pre- and Post-Processing Packages on MAC?

#1 Unread post by KamilaWisniewska »

Hello,

I am setting up ROMS on a mac and i followed the directions available at
https://www.myroms.org/wiki/index.php/ROMS_Mac

Quick and easy - Thank you! From this page i get redirected to the ROMS Pre- and Post-Processing Packages page and as i downloaded and extracted the forcing and initial packages i tried to look for some instruction on how to install them (no luck so far). I noticed a few makefiles with extensions corresponding to the different operating systems, but nothing that suggests Darwin or mac os x.

Please let me know if these packages can be installed on mac.

Now, as i installed ROMS i had to make Darwin-gfortran.mk module by copying Linux-gfortran.mk.

Will something similar work for the makefile of the Pre- and Post-Processing Packages?

Thank you for your help.

kamila

kate

Re: ROMS Pre- and Post-Processing Packages on MAC?

#2 Unread post by kate »

Ah, those old programs. It may be possible to get them to compile on the Mac (don't know why they shouldn't), but I don't know that anyone is still using them, either. I believe most are using the Matlab tools - do you use Matlab?

Then there's the Python tools. Those were not easy to get working on the Mac, and there's at least two ways to go.

KamilaWisniewska

#3 Unread post by KamilaWisniewska »

Hi Kate,

Yes, i do use Matlab. I have already created a grid for my application with Seagrid. Now i need forcing, initial and boundary files. I have tried to create them with Matlab (by myself) and i had some difficulties. There is so much info on the different tools that i'm getting a bit lost. I would appreciate any suggestion on what would be best to use with Matlab to get the things going and to finally start to use the model for realistic applications ;-). As you can imagine until now i worked a lot with the applications provided with the source code and visualization tools.

Thank you,
Kamila

kate

#4 Unread post by kate »

Perhaps you need to ask how to get files X into ROMS, where X is some specific product that's available for your region of interest. Are you going from SODA or a larger ROMS simulation? Or something else? The answers will depend on what X is. The same holds true for the forcing files. The Fortran codes you mention up top were used for a Levitus climatology.

turuncu

#5 Unread post by turuncu »

Hi,

Actually i am using the combination of python and NCL scripts and i have already install pyroms into Mac OS 10.7.2 (It is really great tool, thanks again Kate). You can find the detailed installation procedure in the following link,

http://houstonthereisaproblem.blogspot. ... -1072.html

If you have any problem about it just let me know and i could try to help you.

Best Regards,

--ufuk

KamilaWisniewska

#6 Unread post by KamilaWisniewska »

Hi All,

Than you so much for your responses. I will definitely try this.

Best,
Kamila

kate

#7 Unread post by kate »

Thanks, Ufuk. You inspired me to add something to the ROMS wiki.