ncgm2www

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

chiayan

ncgm2www

#1 Unread post by chiayan »

Dear all,
I want to use the "ROMS/TOMS Plotting Package" for the Visualization of ROMS. Following the instructions from Wiki ROMS, a NCAR Computer Graphics Metafile (NCGM) named gmeta were successfully produced and could be visualized by the idt viewer. But when I tried to use the Raster Scripts to convert the gmeta file into raster images, it failed. The command I used is simply "ncgm2www" in the same directory of gmeta file and also the path of the two shell scripts, ncgm2www and ncgm2gif, were set in my environmental variable($PATH). The error message is "set: Variable name must begin with a letter". By browsing ncgm2www and ncgm2gif scripts, I couldn't found out where such an error message came from. Does anyone using ncgm2www got the same problems? Please give me some advices to solve that, thank you!

Sincerely,
Chiayan Cheng

kate

Re: ncgm2www

#2 Unread post by kate »

You need to find out which command being called by that script is producing that error. Try adding a '-x' and/or '-v' to the first line of the script so that it's more verbose.

It looks like you need to provide either zero or three arguments - it doesn't work for me with just the filename as argument. The error I get with zero arguments is "imconv: Command not found.". It looks like that's coming from ncgm2gif, when these days I'd rather end up with a png image (unless it's for an animation). Also, we're using ImageMagick instead of Image Tools.

Moral of the story: hack at these scripts to do what you want or start from scratch.

chiayan

Re: ncgm2www

#3 Unread post by chiayan »

kate, thanks for your suggestions! I apologized for my carelessness and being unfamiliar with shell script language. The error message comes from "ncgm2www". A redundant space appeared after the "=" symbol in line 31
(set NCGM2GIF= ${HOME}/.....)of ncgm2www and thus resulted in the error. Now, it works fine.