LiveROMS: a live DVD with ROMS pre-installed

Discussion about analysis, visualization, and collaboration tools and techniques

Moderators: arango, robertson

andres

LiveROMS: a live DVD with ROMS pre-installed

#1 Unread post by andres »

Hi all,

We are developing a live DVD with ROMS and a bunch of tools pre-installed, primarily as a tool to help teaching numerical modelling.

The idea is to bypass most of the installation, compilation, and dependencies problems and focus on the numerical code itself. It could be used to deploy all the tools in a virtual environment (e.g. VirtualBox) or to install it over a new hard drive or an empty partition.

It is base in Ubuntu and currently we are using ROMS_AGRIF and a Octave version of ROMSTOOLS (to allow wider distribution). NetCDF, nco, ncview, gfortran, latex are also there.

Please feel to try it and please let us know what other tools or packages could be added to it.

Regards,

Andres

The main link is http://ronin.dgeo.udec.cl/LiveROMS
There is a wikipage at http://www.dgeo.udec.cl/wiki/index.php/LiveROMS
Andres Sepulveda

------------------------------
Geophysics Department
University of Concepcion

kate

Re: LiveROMS: a live DVD with ROMS pre-installed

#2 Unread post by kate »

This would be a perfect way to distribute the python tools we've been developing. You give them python plus all the packages we're using all in one bundle. The pyroms packages themselves are flux, but the version du jour can be obtained with:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/kshedstrom/pyroms

andres

#3 Unread post by andres »

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the idea. I need to add git first! After a quick check in the development laptop (mine, of course) seems I need several of the packages (scipy, matplotlib, basemap, ipython, ...) Current python version is 2.6.5 and numpy 1.3.0

I remember reading on your blog about using a virtual machine during the Hong Kong tutorial. That seems to work quite well, since using a live DVD can be really slow, and one needs an USB drive to save results.

Anyways, hopefully it will make it for the next release.
Andres Sepulveda

Geophysics Department
University of Concepcion

Saud

#4 Unread post by Saud »

Hi Andres,

I would appreciate if you could give a brief description of the files listed in the link :arrow: http://ronin.dgeo.udec.cl/LiveROMS
For example, what are the differences between LiveROMS166.iso and LiveROMS_1.7.iso, and the *.md5 files.
Which file should I chose/run to use liveROMS :?:

Thanks

Saud

andres

#5 Unread post by andres »

Hi,

This system is for the ROMS_AGRIF version, but to start is as good as any other. For professional development, it might depend on your application.

The md5 files are used to verify the integrity of the ISO file after a download.

The version number has been arbitrary, and confusing, so we will now change to have the same number as the ROMS_AGRIF version included. We will soon release then LiveROMS_3.1, with the ROMS_AGRIF version released in February 2014. For now, try any of the ISO files, I will be glad to help you if there are questions.

The operating system is 32bits, it has gfortran, and instead of using Matlab, the ROMSTOOLS code has been adapted to Octave (with octcdf)
Andres Sepulveda

Geophysics Department
University of Concepcion

Saud

#6 Unread post by Saud »

Thanks Andres for your reply and explanation.

thangnm.hust

#7 Unread post by thangnm.hust »

Hi Andres,

I've tried to open your links, but it's not work, the website is no longer available.
Please help to get this live DVD with ROMS pre-install.

Thank you.